Trials and Tribulations of the First Nest (about my geese, pic heavy)

raindrop

Songster
11 Years
Feb 10, 2008
Western Oregon
Last week, I was awakened by a tremendous racket. I went downstairs and opened the front door to chase the pesky geese off the porch and was greeted by...
IMG_5306.jpg

one very tired young goose. About the most comfy nest I have ever seen!

Her first egg!
IMG_5307.jpg

The proud boys paced back and forth (my drakes are in love with my goose, they act so put out that she will not accept their advances)
IMG_5308.jpg

She spent about 30 minutes with her egg, one of the ducks came over to check it out and the goose bit her.
IMG_5309.jpg

I gave her some straw, everyone had a fine time making a mess.
IMG_5310.jpg

Tragically, this egg was consumed by my most mischievous little BC.
Two and a half days later, she laid another one in the late evening.
This egg was carried off and dropped in the grass by above mentioned dog. I did not find it until the next morning, after a night of 26 degree weather.

Smart goose, she knew this was not a wise nest place after all. I came home last night to this new nest
IMG_5333.jpg

and one cute little egg buried in wood chips.
IMG_5334.jpg

I have replaced that egg with the frozen one and want to keep it in a safe place.
If I keep taking her eggs will she lay too many since she won't know when to stop (will she keep thinking "I don't have enough yet.")?
Where should I store them? What temperature?
I have a hold on The Book of Geese at the library, but I need some quick advice in the meantime.

I may try to hatch a couple eggs under a hen if I get a broody. I do not have an incubator (no willpower to prevent excess hatching of things).
If not, I will ship or let someone pick these up to try to hatch. She is just 10 months old, so I don't expect great fertility from what I have read.

Congratulations on your eggs! Lovely pair of pilgrims by the way. Do your geese have water for breeding? If so then you may be surprised in regards to the fertility. I have found that first year layers (in geese) do not lay near as many eggs so I personally would not worry about over production. Keep us posted on your progress I love geese (& chickens & ducks & swans & guineas & peafowl & quail & . . . .)
tongue.png

Another egg today! So do I just let her lay all the eggs and then take them away, or do I leave a couple and take the others as she lays?

I don't really want any more geese right now. I plan to collect the eggs and send them to someone or a couple people for the cost of shipping until I get an idea of their fertility. They are only 10 months old. I see lots of mating on the pond, but I read that fertility wasn't great the first year. I have no incubator. I would try to hatch them under a chicken, but then I would have goslings to find homes for and I don't know if I have the time to deal with that. Besides, they are so adorable I may be tempted to keep them!
I do feel bad about taking the eggs, she is so careful about caring for them...

Back
Top Bottom