Tricking a broody hen with duck eggs!

Annabel

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
I have one very broody hen. She is currently sitting on 2 eggs that aren't going to hatch, was doing so well but she cracked them basically!

I have a little r-com incubator that currently has 2 duck eggs that I hope will hatch! One didn't prove to be fertile.

I want to swap over the ones in the incubator when they are about to hatch or when they have hatched. Will she know?! I was thinking of buying those nest eggs to keep her occupied and so I can throw the eggs away before they start to smell. The incubator has 14 days left to go.

If she does reject them I am prepared look after them in a brooder at home but would rather she done it!

Just wanted some advice thanks!

I have one very broody hen. She is currently sitting on 2 eggs that aren't going to hatch, was doing so well but she cracked them basically!

I have a little r-com incubator that currently has 2 duck eggs that I hope will hatch! One didn't prove to be fertile.

I want to swap over the ones in the incubator when they are about to hatch or when they have hatched. Will she know?! I was thinking of buying those nest eggs to keep her occupied and so I can throw the eggs away before they start to smell. The incubator has 14 days left to go.

If she does reject them I am prepared look after them in a brooder at home but would rather she done it!

Just wanted some advice thanks!
Why not save some money and just stick them under her now? She wont reject eggs but will possibly reject hatched eggs.

Hi

I am worried that the temp/humidity will be affected if I take them out of the brooder now? Have you successfully done this before?

Thank you for your advice :)

I have never had any problem with giving my chicken hatched chicks.
I dont suggest you put the eggs under her because if she broke the other ones than she might break these and you really dont want that!!

Last edited:
Hi

I am worried that the temp/humidity will be affected if I take them out of the brooder now? Have you successfully done this before?

Thank you for your advice
smile.png
I have never done it myself but know that lots of people have successfully hatched duck eggs under a hen. It is likely that she will accept the ducklings after they hatched but its taking a risk because she might not. What breed is she? Also how long has she been broody?

Back
Top Bottom