Trilling

Alyssandra

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
snohomish, WA
Today one of my chicks started makeing this trilling sound. It's really cute and I can't figure out which one is making it. Is that normal I have only heard litte chirps and peeps up until now. They are about 5 weeks old. Any other odd noises I should expect to hear from them if this is normal?

Well I am glad they are content...but I hope I don't have a roo in the bunch
smile.png

That is the sound you hear when one or more is getting tired and wanting to take a nap. It is the babies call meaning "Let's pile up for a nap". YES, I do sit and listen to my chickies.

It is just a peaceful sound, you just want to lay down and drift off to sleep while listening to it.

Matt

Hello--been here a while lurking...

I had two Barred Rock hens. Both trilled (I called it "purring"), especially the second, Sophie. They did it when they found something especially tasty while ferreting around in the garden.

Now I have a new baby BR who has started doing that in the last week--especially when I am tidying up her temporary digs. I have not had babies in a long time!

P.S.: While searching I saw a post about posting pictures of babies, so here she is. She is on top of the old parrot cage (bottom removed) in which she goes outside. She fusses a bit because she wants to be on my lap, then quickly simmers down.

It was taken about four days ago. Now she has real wing feathers. She makes herself quite busy with them. She also has some silly little business that she thinks is a tail. I tell her it is a only a silly little business
smile.png

P1010627.jpg

Last edited:
I love the trilling!
love.gif
My pullets do it when they find something tasty or when they are napping. I have had my chicks trill in my hand or lap too.
love.gif
From what I can understand it just means they are content/happy. Nothing to worry about and everything to love!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh, thank you!

She is very bratty today. I work at home, so can check on her lots. She has been more clingy than usual, so when I was done, we went outside .

I did a little weeding; she had a dirt bath and a little worm I found. She sampled the vegetation; the dirt and worm were more appealing.

Now she does not want anything to do with bedtime. I guess she just had too much fun out there.

I got her 2 weeks ago--that photo was taken a week ago this Saturday. I am guessing she is about 3 weeks old. (Golly--it really HAS been a while since I had babies!)

I need to look around for growth charts or something. All I have found in the 'net so far about growth in chickens is a lot of scientific research on bone density 'n' things.

I too LOVE to hear the trilling, I also call it 'purring'. My girls will snuggle on up and trill/purr and get all sweet and cozy in my arms - I just LOVE it. I tell everyone it is my chickens way of saying they love me. Because my one pullet that was on bed rest in the house used to talk to me when I came into the kitchen with purrs and trills and little churrups etc. I loved it, and now that she has moved back out with the flock I Really miss her!!! Anyway, it is a good sound to hear and can make your heart glad.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom