Trouble in Paradise

chickenmamma22

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Hi Everyone,
I am new to chicken keeping, just started in May 2011. My chicks were 4 days old when I got them, 1 golden wyandotte and two speckled sussex. They have been a great trio and have started laying. Recently this week I noticed that the Wyandotte, Beulah, has started bullying the smaller sussex, Percy. Prior to this no problem. This week I hve seen Beulah run up to Percy and back her up with her chest, I have seen her put her foot on her neck and try to get her to the ground, as well as grab her by the neck. Percy has been disappearing into the woods only coming back near sundown. Yesterday Percy stayed the night out in the woods, I was heart broken. It should be noted that Beulah and my other sussex, myrtle, and been staying together side by side whereas before the two sussex where always together, in fact all three were always in close range of each other. Percy never came to roost last night and was out in the woods all night. This morning my Percy was at the front door soaking wet. I hate to see this repeated and Percy basically cast off/banished to the woods. Does anyone have any thoughts that would help me.

Chicken Mamma22

Some say to put the bully hen in time out, (caged alone) for about a week. That will make her the newbie and she might calm down a bit. I truly am not sure if that works. Can you get a few more hens? Then your little sussex won't be her only target....Plus she'll have more to hang out with.

I agree, put Beulah in jail for a week. This is pecking order stuff and all you can do is try to disrupt it. I hope you have a dog cage or garage or shed or something where you can isolate her. She should return at the bottom of the pecking order.

More hens should shake things up, too, but you may not want to do that.

welcome-byc.gif
from the Finger Lakes of New York! I see you are already getting good ideas. Best of luck with your "bully" hen!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom