Trouble Regrowing Feathers

Toro

Songster
7 Years
May 18, 2012
New Yawk
My rooster is a bit aggressive when it comes to the mating area. He has been over mating 5 of my hens ever since he "matured". I have been able to correct 2 of them with a saddle, and another one is wearing one now. My buff orpington is the worst case. She is very skittish and intolerant to anything on her body, so she always manages to get the saddle off. Her back is completely bare. Her feathers WILL NOT grow back (I think it's because the feather shafts are still in her skin so her body is fooled into thinking it has feathers). Now that summer is coming again, I fear she will get horrible sunburn on her back. I have no idea what to do anymore except get a statue of St. Jude and put it in the coop :/ Any ideas?

I agree that your BO will get sunburned eventually. I had the same thing happen to a BO several years ago, she somehow managed to get the saddle off by popping the snaps in some manner. I purchased large diaper pins and that took care of the problem. She struggled for about 2 hours before she wore herself out...but she still still sqawked about it until she got completely used to it.
She will refeather at the next molt. It's normally recommended 1 roo per 10 hens.

Back
Top Bottom