Troubleshooting low hatch rates - advice welcome

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have been seeing some low hatch rates and would be very grateful for advice from you experienced hatchers. :)

Here are some details, and possible factors I can think of. But I'm sure there are more.

Currently using a Brinsea Mini II Advance. Temp set to 99.5, auto turner set for every 45 min. (Factory settings)

Round 1, Feb 21: 1 of 7 hatched. (Also set 5 of that same batch in a borrowed Nurture Right 360. 1 of 5 hatched. This was a batch of shipped eggs that had a rough trip getting to us.)

Round 2, April 2: 3 of 7. Eggs from my flock. (Also had a broody hen hatch 4 out of 5 same day. Doing better than the incubator, ha.)

Round 3, April 27/28: 2 of 7. Also from my flock.

Round 4: due to hatch in 10 days.

My birds are hatchery stock. Polish rooster, 8 months old (if age is a factor). At the time of hatching, I had 17 hens (Buff Orpington, Polish, Easter Egger, assorted heavy breeds; mix of 8 months to several years old. Yes, I keep my old hens). If a hen is aged, do eggs not hatch as well as from younger hens? Can there be too many hens for a rooster to make the rounds and service them all? They do keep him busy.

We have crazy up and down spring weather here in west TX, but no severe heat yet to affect fertility.

The incubator is unfortunately too small to fit a separate backup temp/humidity gauge. Keeping the water level constant is a challenge due to the dry climate. The ambient temperature in my house also does fluctuate somewhat; perhaps that affects the incubator as well?

I candled the Feb hatch, but those were very dark Marans eggs. First time candling and I could not see anything. Wasn't able to candle subsequent hatches.

If there is anything I'm overlooking or forgot to mention, I'd love to know. Please don't scold me 😟 I know there has to be something I'm doing wrong, but I have not figured out what it is.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/insights/thoughts/etc. I really appreciate it.

Don't feel bad, hatching eggs is not easy (unless you are a hen of course...) I have been scouring this forum for advice, you are in the right place! Were you measuring humidity? I have the same incubator and I took out the water as my humidity was reading close to 70% (we have high ambient humidity here). They are running at 55% humidity now here at day 10 with no added water. You can buy some small humidity monitors that can just fit in there for next time! Recommend the ones used for reptiles, seem to be more accurate. Good luck! :love

You will need to candle after 7-10 days of incubation and see if they are fertilized before knowing whether the issue is fertility or mechanics. Marans eggs are tough to candle, if you have eggs with paler shells to try with, I'd set those and see what you discover.

I would definitely verify the the temp and humidity inside the incubator with a trusted/calibrated thermometer/hygrometer. I know you said it wont fit inside with the eggs but you can put it in before the eggs go in and see how different the incubators temp/humidity is reading...

And as mentioned, we need to know what the eggs that didn't hatch looked like inside. It could simply be a fertility problem.

Thank you guys. ❤

I did not have the stomach to open up the eggs that didn't hatch (read too many hatching horror tales that they might explode...?). I just tossed them out in the pasture, but when they landed in the brush, I heard very liquid splashes. Similar to dropping a regular egg.

Jmns, I haven't been able to figure out if there is a way to display humidity in the readout that displays temp/autoturner/etc. I can't seem to find it if there is. Maybe I overlooked it somehow.

If you all have any recommendations for favored brands of tiny hygrometers, I'm all ears. It seems so cramped in there, but I could probably squeeze it in somehow, or do it before the eggs go in. Knew I should have invested in the bigger model! :)

I'll get an egg candler as next step. I do have plenty of pale eggs. And will try to get my nerve up to open ones that don't hatch from this upcoming batch.

Appreciate the insights! Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

I have the bigger model as well the maxi II advance. It is actually really tricky keeping the humidity in that one. I think the smaller one is better. Better off getting two small ones if you need to hatch more than seven eggs! I have the two smaller ones and the big one. I just got them and I find the smaller ones are easier to deal with. None of them show the humidity reading. Brinsea makes one that does but it cost about $100 more per incubator. That’s why you need to have a separate hygrometer. If you find a small enough one you can just leave it in there. Otherwise just check it as Mdees88 suggested.
I also am currently Incubating Marans eggs, both black copper and blue birchen. The black copper are so dark I can’t even see if they’re fertile! I’ve been weighing them instead and planning to do a warm water float test later if I need to. This is all new to me too, but I tend to over research and overthink things so I have been reading a lot about it. Hopefully you have better luck next time! I understand why you wouldn’t want to do the eggtopsy, it can be a little disturbing. it may help you though determine what went wrong for next time!
:love

My first 3 thoughts:

Humidiy is too high.
I always have bad hatches if it is. Use a hygrometer.30-40% first 18 days then 60-70%

Are you feeding a high protein feed?
Best hatch rates and fertility if parents have around 20% give or take.

Infertile eggs. Too young or too old parents.

Back
Top Bottom