Troubleshooting low hatch rates - advice welcome

As it turns out, I actually inherited a second rooster recently. I guess that will be a good way to test if my Polish rooster might be shooting blanks.

Have you cracked open any eggs to check and see if they were fertilised?
1590457589929.png

Oh my word the cuties! Congrats! 😍 Could I ask how far away they were shipped to you from?
Thanks!:) I got them from Alabama Silkies in Alabama and they flew 4000 miles over three days. They have an excellent reputation and known for their high hatch rates. Apparently they ship all over the world, so they know how to ship eggs! Currently they are only shipping within the US because of the pandemic.
The 14th just hatched! That’s an 87.5% hatch rate for shipped eggs, I’m quite impressed but I also “mother henned them“ the whole time, probably too much!
:love

I also adjusted their directions to suit my climate and altitude as I felt the humidity they recommended was too high for my area. I dry hatched which was about 40 to 45% from day 1 to 19 and then 65% for lockdown.😊

Whew, that is most impressive to get such a good hatch when they were shipped such a ways! Now I'll have to go read up on dry hatching, you made me curious. :)

Back
Top Bottom