Troubleshooting please.

Jackie-83

Songster
May 26, 2020
Alabama
I have a hen who's not doing well. Flop, is droopy and lethargic. Very thirsty. Diarrhea is green in color and had chucks of non-diarrhea in it but does not have a white cap at all. In the poop I can see whole seeds from the scratch that she did eat. Crop is full and squishy. Mostly water.
She will eat little bites of mashed laying hen pellets or corn bread. But will not even attempt grass or other veg items, and those are her favorites. Nothing bad smelling from her mouth.

A month or so back she was droopy. I brought her into the house and fed her mash for a couple of days until she perked back up. Then kept her out of the coop for a few more days until she remembered she's faster than me. So I figured if we was well enough to run from me and wanted to return to the coop that she was better.

Last time she was not excessively thirsty and perked back up within a couple of days. We are now on day 3. Her food intake is minimal, but she is drinking a cup of water every 3 hours or so. Now, part of that water is running down her front. I don't know if this is an indication of something wrong or if its just because she's laying down and drinking. Also, 3 months ago she was attacked by a hawk. She had no visible injuries, but has seemed off ever since.

Her neck feels weird to me, but I'm not sure if its actually normal or not. I'm trying to get a hold of one of the other chickens, but so far they are not cooperating. S it possible she has something stuck in her throat?

Any advice would be valuable and appreciated. If she's not on them mend soon I will have to cull her.

How old is she? When did she last lay an egg? Sometimes recurring crop issues can be a symptom of other health problems like reproductive or digestive disorders.

She seems to suffer from a serious crop issue. Here is how to treat her:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nd-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/?page=6

Open her beak and shine a flashlight down her throat, just to make sure that nothing is stuck there blocking her throat. To open the beak, sit her on your lap head facing front and gently pull her wattles down.
Thank you for the resource. I think she has an impacted crop. But she does not seem to have a full blockage. Should I withhold food? This goes against every instinct I have...

How old is she? When did she last lay an egg? Sometimes recurring crop issues can be a symptom of other health problems like reproductive or digestive disorders.
I wish I knew. These girls were given to me with limited info 2 year ago. She was a daily layer when we got her. So I'm guessing at least 3 years old and maybe more.

Also her comb is pale. I don't know why I forget to mention that. Her coin is also flopped over, but I do not consider that a symptom because its been like that as long as I've had her. Which is why we named her flop.

What exactly are you feeding and does she have unlimited access to grit (little granite stones to help break down the food they ingest)?

When did she lay last an egg?

When did you last deworm her? Sometimes an overload of worms can cause an impaction further down the digestive tract leading to crop issues.

I would separate her in a cage with puppy pads or towels and massage her crop gently downwards several times a day for at least 5 minutes while holding her upright to prevent vomiting/aspiration.
Here is another good article on how to treat crop impactions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I hope she will recover.

What exactly are you feeding and does she have unlimited access to grit (little granite stones to help break down the food they ingest)?

When did she lay last an egg?

When did you last deworm her? Sometimes an overload of worms can cause an impaction further down the digestive tract leading to crop issues.

I would separate her in a cage with puppy pads or towels and massage her crop gently downwards several times a day for at least 5 minutes while holding her upright to prevent vomiting/aspiration.
Here is another good article on how to treat crop impactions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I hope she will recover.
She has not played an egg since the winter. Between the cold weather and a mild molt I didn't consider it a symptom. Should I?

She was dewormed about a month ago.

Until a couple of days ago, she had free access to grit and oyster shells.

I've been giving her laying pellets soaked in water. And cornbread that I've dripped vet RX on.

Every time I rub her crop, when I put her back in her box she attacks the corn bread like she's starving.

16513531157843267358370923750854.jpg

She's in the box, on my front porch. If I put the box in they yard the other chickens decide they want to play in the box. If I take her out of the box and put her in the yard she will get up and move under the porch. But if the box is on the porch she will stand up (usually when she needs to poop) once in a while but makes no effort to get out of the box.

She doesn't complain when I pick her up. Under normal circumstances I would play he'll catching her to start with and when I did catch her she's squaking, and fighting to get loose.

Back
Top Bottom