True Aracaunas in NC?

bephillips

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
Boomer NC
I am looking to purchase a breeding pair of true aracauna birds. I live in NC and would prefer to pick them up insted of shipping. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm also in NC and would be interested in some as well. Maybe we can split an order?

I have reservations, though, because I was told that so many local breeders have been testing positive for diseases. I would be devastated to introduce something to my birds as we love them dearly and keep them as pets...

Last edited:
When it comes to breeders and diseases, getting from an NPIP certified breeder/flock really does help.

As for true Araucana breeders, I don't know about adult pairs but Gary Ramey in South Carolina does chicks, and he does ship. I have no clue on adults. Honestly finding adult Araucanas for local pick-up almost anywhere in America is pretty rare. Even when I sell adult birds for pick-up, it's a rare occasion during slow months when I need to cut back on birds with serious flaws. (that is, flaws that don't fit my program, not actual flaws that people shouldn't have in pet birds.)

The ONLY way you can be sure to not introduce disease into your flock is RIGEROUS quarantine. Meaning absolutely no interaction or contact between new chickens and previous chickens. Far away enough from each other that they are not breathing the same air. After at last three weeks you put one of your previous chickens with the new chickens to see if that chicken gets sick. If the previously owned chicken shows illness then you know the new chickens are carrying a disease and will give the disease to all of your chickens.

PM'ed you. For anyone else curious, I noticed he has a Facebook page now. I found his phone number years back by Googling him. He's got advertisements here and there, including in poultry magazines.

Back
Top Bottom