Trying to determine whether my chicks are hens or roosters.

OK there is some closer pics. I am pretty sure the two barred rocks are roos, which is devestating my youngest daughter. She desperately wanted barred rock hens. The white and brown leghorns shown I am pretty sure are hens.

I am hoping we are both mistaken about the br, I love those two. Tho, I love them all, so I wanted them all to be girls. That one shown up close is Hopper. S/he began hopping out of the box and perching on the edge while waiting for me to refill food dishes. We have them in the mudroom while waiting for them to be old enough to go out in the coop, and that one will get on the floor in an area we have marked off and covered for easy cleanup, and stand at the gate to watch the cats. Tho, if my female cat sees the chicken peeking out at her, she runs. Sadly, if the BRs do turn out to be males I will rehome them, and try again for hens in the spring.

See, the comb says male, coloring says female. (at least in the pictures.) I think you'll have to wait until s/he either crows or lays an egg!

Last edited:
I wonder if the coloring could be because they are possibly mixed? If it is, indeed, a rooster, that is. they could, potentially be full BR, but it is possible they are part leghorn or RIR

Back
Top Bottom