They will be inside a garage, but Day time temps over the next week are supposed to be low teens to 20s C. (I have no idea what that is in F). Nights are still going just below freezing.
The chicks need time to acclimate to the change of temperature. Kinda like hardening off plants that go outside from inside. Quail are hardy but they can pile and kill the chicks on the bottom. What are your day time temps?

I looked up 20c and it said 68f so that would be ok but night time still pretty chilly. Again you may end up with piling so make your decision from that. For an extra couple of weeks do you want to risk it?

I don't know.... the garage IS insulated, I have 3 separate pens that have a "huddle hut" and there is straw bedding...

They are in the process of "zipping" their chest feather jacket.... I am going to watch what the interior temps are tomorrow and see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230428_214825_WeatherCAN.jpg
    Screenshot_20230428_214825_WeatherCAN.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I know I shouldn’t go against the wisdom of someone who has been on this forum a decade longer than me, but 2 day old chicks can die in a pile. Not 2 week old ones. Don’t overthink it. What you’re planning is fine and probably overly safe. You’re good.

Edit: Your number of birds at their age are gonna be taxed by sub freezing nighttime temps. They’re not gonna smother each other. The extra heat you’re planning in an area that won’t drop that cold and no draught… you’re good.

And in “an extra couple weeks“… your birds would be fine in the Arctic circle.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I WON'T have any extra heat on them out there because of the nature of my setup...

And, how long should my weaning process be?
They should acclimate within a week. My only concern with this is the abrupt change from heat to sub freezing temps

In this case, you should be able to move them out, but make sure they have boxes or shelters they can huddle in.b Their body heat can warm up a small space. If you are really worried, you can provide hot water bottles for the first few nights.

Ib
They should acclimate within a week. My only concern with this is the abrupt change from heat to sub freezing temps

In this case, you should be able to move them out, but make sure they have boxes or shelters they can huddle in.b Their body heat can warm up a small space. If you are really worried, you can provide hot water bottles for the first few nights.
Have upended flower pot caves for them to go into.

I just checked my thermometer. It's sitting at right around 0°C (32°F I believe) inside the garage.

Attachments

• 20230429_080219.jpg
    20230429_080219.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230429_080201.jpg
    20230429_080201.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom