Trying to get my ducks in a row- My ducklings are shipping MONDAY! :)

JessiLynn

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2015
Washington
I'm just a little overwhelmed. I've been combing through the forums and reading the stickies, and trying to write out my list so that I am as prepared as I can possibly be before my ducklings arrive. I have 7 coming from Metzer farms. :)

Anyhow, I live about an hour from civilization and tomorrow my husband is taking me to the feed store to stock up on duckling supplies! I'm super excited but a little overwhelmed after reading topics in regards to feeding them. I was hoping someone could simplify it for me a little. If I am able to buy duck/water fowl starter, then I wouldn't need to supplement with brewers yeast or Niacin, correct? If I have to buy chick starter, I need to make sure it is non medicated, and I would then need to add in Brewers Yeast? Would this stuff work? http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Bre...26904793&sr=8-4&keywords=brewers+yeast+powder Amazon is my best friend, and has kept me sane after we moved up to the mountains. :) Is the protein content super critical? I'm just not sure what my options are going to be... having never looked for chicken or duck feed there before.

Also, do you think this metal trough will work as a brooder? My girls enjoyed using it last Summer! :)

I can't remember how big it is, but for 7 ducklings, do you think they would outgrow it very quickly? I've seen others use these, but I've wondered if you have to worry about the heat lamp making the metal too hot? :) Would it need to be covered to keep them inside? The brooder will be in the house, and there are no other animals inside that would pose a threat.

In regards to bedding for the brooder... I really kind of want to go the pine shavings route, because it seems like it would be cleaner. I'll add a little more when needed. Do I need to be concerned too much about dust with pine shavings versus straw? I'm definitely going to take the tips I received and use a plastic container with a cut in the lid, and elevate it over something to catch the water. :)

I just ordered a Peckomatic feeder from Amazon to use later in their pen! Once I get all these little details sorted out I would love to create a little infographic for future new duck owners caring for ducklings. I'm a very visual learner, so I know this would really help me at the same time! There is not very much info out there in regards to ducks is there?

I've had Storey's guide to caring for ducks in my amazon cart for a few days, and now that I am running out of time I went ahead and just purchased the kindle version. Will not be nearly as enjoyable reading it from my phone, but it'll have to do. I'll get to reading that tonight before we leave tomorrow! I've heard nothing but great things about how informative it is. :)

Oh! One more thing. The ducklings are scheduled to hatch Monday, (from Metzer) I'm assuming that means they will arrive Tuesday? My post office doesn't open until 12:30 Monday-Friday, I hope that isn't too long for them.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice! I'm excited to get started and sharing in this great community. :)

I would be concerned about the ducks out growing that container in a week. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is make sure you do everything you can do to keep them dry. Damp bedding can rapidly cause a base for germs. Good lucj!

I got my ducklings from Metzer also, I'm in North North Calif, about an hour below Oregon. Metzer shipped my ducklings on Monday, and I got them on Wednesday. I had the grojel included, and the container was empty when my ducklings arrived, I'd suggest if you didn't have them include the grogel stuff, to call and have them include it.

I didn't use shavings in my brooder because I'd read, on several posts that the little darlings like to try and eat them. Also things get wet and stinky, and shavings are harder to clean out of the brooder. Someone suggested old bath towels for the brooder floor, which I used. Worked great, I have 10 ducklings, I'd change their towels once, sometimes twice a day, shake off the duckling poop and wash. I'd usually have 2 days worth of towels before I'd wash them, I have a ton of old bath towels.

I also ordered mazuri waterfowl starter diet for them. It is sort of expensive, twenty some odd dollars, for 25 pounds, but only about $5.00 for shipping, which was a plus for me. Like you I'm WAY out of town. Anyway, have fun with the ducklings, bet they will be great pets since the kids will be handling them a lot, I'm betting.

Wow, I can't believe your post office doesn't open till 12:30, seems odd.

I got my ducklings from Metzer also, I'm in North North Calif, about an hour below Oregon. Metzer shipped my ducklings on Monday, and I got them on Wednesday. I had the grojel included, and the container was empty when my ducklings arrived, I'd suggest if you didn't have them include the grogel stuff, to call and have them include it.

I didn't use shavings in my brooder because I'd read, on several posts that the little darlings like to try and eat them. Also things get wet and stinky, and shavings are harder to clean out of the brooder. Someone suggested old bath towels for the brooder floor, which I used. Worked great, I have 10 ducklings, I'd change their towels once, sometimes twice a day, shake off the duckling poop and wash. I'd usually have 2 days worth of towels before I'd wash them, I have a ton of old bath towels.

I also ordered mazuri waterfowl starter diet for them. It is sort of expensive, twenty some odd dollars, for 25 pounds, but only about $5.00 for shipping, which was a plus for me. Like you I'm WAY out of town. Anyway, have fun with the ducklings, bet they will be great pets since the kids will be handling them a lot, I'm betting.

Wow, I can't believe your post office doesn't open till 12:30, seems odd.
Thank you! I'm in WA state, so I bet they won't arrive until Wednesday then! Hmm... I did not include the gel type stuff. I'll see if I can't get it added in time.

I'm definitely re-thinking the shavings. I need to get straw for my garden anyhow. So I may use that or the towels, I do remember seeing that mentioned. :)

Yes, a month after moving here the small post office was at risk of being closed. They had a town meeting and voted to keep it open but at reduced hours. 12:30-4:30 was the time voted in. They are open on Saturdays from 8:30-10:00. :) I ship all of my orders via USPS, and some days I bring in packages and she is happy to have something to go out in the mail for the day! :)

I would be concerned about the ducks out growing that container in a week. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is make sure you do everything you can do to keep them dry. Damp bedding can rapidly cause a base for germs. Good lucj!

Good info, thank you! Gosh- I guess I need to re-visit that brooder thread! I thought this would have lasted 2 weeks. Is it because it isn't as tall as say most plastic containers?

Good info, thank you! Gosh- I guess I need to re-visit that brooder thread! I thought this would have lasted 2 weeks. Is it because it isn't as tall as say most plastic containers?
I think you might be able to get away with 2 weeks. You will know because you will have to clean the brooder more than once a day. I used puppy pads for the first 2-3 days and then used pine shavings after that. Just make sure that they know where their food is before switching to shavings.

I got my ducklings from Metzer on Wed and I'm in TX. They had grow gel but the container got flipped around during shipping and they couldn't get to it. I flipped it the right way on the way home and they pigged out. My post office called me at 7 am but told me I couldn't pick them up till they opened at 8. Others have said the post office will let them pick up as soon as they arrive. The post office should have an employee there all the time to move the mail.

I would get flock raiser if you can and brews yeast is good to add. It has extra vitamins that are good for ducklings and sometimes ducklings need even more than what is in flock raiser, although most do not. Also poultry drench is a good vitamin to use if you can get it. I used it for the first week.

I think you might be able to get away with 2 weeks. You will know because you will have to clean the brooder more than once a day. I used puppy pads for the first 2-3 days and then used pine shavings after that. Just make sure that they know where their food is before switching to shavings.

I got my ducklings from Metzer on Wed and I'm in TX. They had grow gel but the container got flipped around during shipping and they couldn't get to it. I flipped it the right way on the way home and they pigged out. My post office called me at 7 am but told me I couldn't pick them up till they opened at 8. Others have said the post office will let them pick up as soon as they arrive. The post office should have an employee there all the time to move the mail.

I would get flock raiser if you can and brews yeast is good to add. It has extra vitamins that are good for ducklings and sometimes ducklings need even more than what is in flock raiser, although most do not. Also poultry drench is a good vitamin to use if you can get it. I used it for the first week.

Okay, I'll have everything ready for the ducklings Tuesday, but I'll expect them Wednesday. Would hate to get my hopes up! If I can't get the gel added, it is good to know yours did okay without it. I should have just added it, for some reason I thought that since it wasnt hot summer weather it wouldn't be as important. Should have checked BYC for opinions...

Puppy pads are an excellent idea!

Thank you! I'm in WA state, so I bet they won't arrive until Wednesday then! Hmm... I did not include the gel type stuff. I'll see if I can't get it added in time.

I'm definitely re-thinking the shavings. I need to get straw for my garden anyhow. So I may use that or the towels, I do remember seeing that mentioned. :)

Yes, a month after moving here the small post office was at risk of being closed. They had a town meeting and voted to keep it open but at reduced hours. 12:30-4:30 was the time voted in. They are open on Saturdays from 8:30-10:00. :) I ship all of my orders via USPS, and some days I bring in packages and she is happy to have something to go out in the mail for the day! :)

The towels work really well! I'm doing that with my batch that came in from Metzer on Thursday (I live in the boonies in Colorado, so the post office took an extra day. Gro-gel was completely gone).

Check with your post office and see if someone comes in early to receive shipments. Give them your number and what you're expecting, and they will call you as soon as the ducklings come off the truck. My local postal warehouse called me at 4:30am because I told them "WAKE ME UP IF YOU HAVE TO!"

Do keep in close touch with the Post Office.

We used towels - worked very well for us. I even got enthusiastic about not wasting the manure after a few weeks, and had a big - like 30 gallon - bucket outside once it was warm enough, and rinsed the towels in that before hanging them outside to drip a bit before going into the washer (wanted to have full loads). My plants love duck poop soup!

The towels work really well! I'm doing that with my batch that came in from Metzer on Thursday (I live in the boonies in Colorado, so the post office took an extra day. Gro-gel was completely gone).

Check with your post office and see if someone comes in early to receive shipments. Give them your number and what you're expecting, and they will call you as soon as the ducklings come off the truck. My local postal warehouse called me at 4:30am because I told them "WAKE ME UP IF YOU HAVE TO!"

Thank you! I'm going to talk to the lady who works at the post office. This morning when I went by there at 6:30 the mail truck was there making his delivery, but the mail lady wasn't there. I'm not sure if the mail delivery guy would call me or not, but I'm definitely going to have to ask about it! :) Maybe they could just let him know ahead of time that I will be there to pick them up. I seen your topic on the babies, they are SOO cute. Makes me super anxious!! :)

Back
Top Bottom