Trying to get my neighbor to give us their chicken-no luck so far

franklinchickens

Songster
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Franklin, TN
Our neighbors (we live in a small downtown neighborhood) have one chicken. The daughter got it as a chick from a family member to raise. It's now probably 4-5 months old. The problem is that though they have taken care of it - it looks healthy and is friendly - it is alone. And living in a cardboard box on their front porch. They said they wanted to get a cage for it but can't afford it. So I offered to take the hen and absorb it into our flock of 7. It could still be 'their' hen but it would have a happier life living with other chickens. We have a pretty nice setup for our hens and we would be happy to have it. We didn't want to hurt their feelings but they don't have proper watering (each time we've seen it, there's a small tipped over empty water cup) and it's inside this box with tarp on it.
There is a language barrier - the parents don't speak much English so the daughter is translating. I think they wouldn't mind giving it to us but it's become sort of a pet but now that it's grown they aren't sure what to do with it.
Keeping our fingers crossed! We don't want to keep bugging them but it is killing me to think of this chicken in the box. It has holes in it and they made it a roost out of a branch but still.
Anyway, just venting. And we'll keep trying. I guess there's chickens that have it worse off than this one.

They are Hispanic. But the daughter speaks perfect English and the mom does have some English (I unfortunately have zero Spanish). I think they do understand though it took a while - we just didn't want them to think we were trying to take away their chicken or that they were doing something wrong - we're trying to offer politely to help out. That was the hard part - asking to take the chicken without insulting them! I think we got through so we're just waiting while they think about it. I'm just itching to get her though!

Since the daughter can translate so well, how about inviting them over for a picnic, and in the process, explain your chickens set-up. Then offer to get them another hen and build a proper coop/run? Or advise, at the very least? Keep in mind, the daughter may be the one who wants to keep the chicken, it's not fun relying on a translator! So if you turn the table, it may work out quite well!

I have found that kindness and education go a long way towards having good neighbors!
big_smile.png

I did invite the mom over with the kids and showed her our setup which I think may have gone a way in convincing her. She asked if the big chickens would pick on theirs and I said it was possible but that we would introduce them slowly and supervise. They all said they needed to ask the dad which I'm not sure has happened yet. I do think they care about the chicken but they obviously don't know what they are doing. I just found out this morning that the relative who gave them the 1 chick had 3 others that all died from cold. We didn't even know they had the chicken until a few days ago!
@ranchhand - I did think of that but I'm just not thinking they really want another one nor do they have the funds to build even something rudimentary - if they decide not to give us the hen, then I'll push them to do this and offer to help perhaps with getting at least a better setup than they have.
And @silkiemomma2010 - you are right about the shelter & water - I think the chick grew so fast they they just were taken aback and didn't know what to do. I tried to explain what chickens need - a flock, water, etc. and I think it got through. I hope anyway!
We're going to keep on them, nicely, and see if we can get Marshmallow over to live with our group. Will post if I am successful! We really don't need another hen but it just bothers me the way things are.

Quote:
But in a way they were doing something wrong without adequate shelter or water..

how so? Growing up Chickens were able to go under a lean to, but didn't have a cage or coop.. Were we bad chicken owners? Ours lived a happy life. Chickens are NOT always pets for some peeps..

Quote:
But in a way they were doing something wrong without adequate shelter or water..

how so? Growing up Chickens were able to go under a lean to, but didn't have a cage or coop.. Were we bad chicken owners? Ours lived a happy life. Chickens are NOT always pets for some peeps..

Because its a cardbord box on the front portch!

Quote:
True. The dad may be upset that the girl is trying to make a pet outta supper. And the box is fine. Not what most of us would choose, but for the dad of that family, it is good enough for him.

Quote:
Quote:

The answer is part of the original post, bolded above.

Back
Top Bottom