Trying to Kill Eggs Incubation Experiment.

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Trying to kill eggs experiment...

Step 1. Remove 8 eggs from broody after 1 week incubation.
Step 2. Place eggs on kitchen counter.
Step 3. Leave eggs alone for one week on kitchen counter.
Step 4. Place eggs in killerbator (Janoel 48).
Step 5. Open killerbator several times every day.
Step 6. Forget to turn eggs.
Step 7. Don't add water and see where humidity ends up, which is usually 10%
Step 8. Wait until eggs pip externally, then raise humidity to 50%
Step 9. Keep opening killerbator 5-10 times a day.

Experiment failed, lol, all 8 chicks hatched and flourished!

All joking aside, I wish I had this sort of luck with peafowl.

Please note that I am joking about trying to kill them, I'm just really forgetful and am not very disciplined when it comes to turning eggs and monitoring humidity. :oops:

Last edited:
Trying to kill eggs experiment...

Step 1. Remove 8 eggs from broody after 1 week incubation.

Step 2. Place eggs on kitchen counter.

Step 3. Leave eggs alone for one week on kitchen.

Step 4. Place eggs in killerbator (Janoel 48).

Step 5. Open killer bator several times every day.

Step 6. Forget to turn eggs.

Step 7. Don't add water and see where humidity ends up, which is usually 10%

Step 8. Wait until eggs pip externally, then raise humidity to 50%

Step 9. Keep opening killerbator 5-10 times a day.

Experiment failed, lol. Seven chicks fluffed, one externally pipped. 

All joking aside, I wish I had this sort of luck with peafowl. 

-Kathy

:eek:

Hatching is the first hurdle. There are health problems that can be caused by 'improper' incubation -- humidty too high or too low during certains stages of development, temps being off during certain stages, etc. It will be interesting to see what short- and long-term health problems the chicks might have. Opening the incubator several times a day didn't bother me nor did forgeting to turn the eggs, but letting the eggs sit on a counter for a week after incubation started made me gasp.

Hatching is the first hurdle. There are health problems that can be caused by 'improper' incubation -- humidty too high or too low during certains stages of development, temps being off during certain stages, etc. It will be interesting to see what short- and long-term health problems the chicks might have. Opening the incubator several times a day didn't bother me nor did forgeting to turn the eggs, but letting the eggs sit on a counter for a week after incubation started made me gasp.
This experiment was done last summer, and all are doing fine so far. These are very hardy game crosses.

Got the second batch in the hatcher now, and it looks like I'm gonna get 100% hatch rate on these. Now I just need to figure out how to get 100% on peafowl and Muscovies.

Might try cooling them, seems like there's an awful lot of success going on if you let them get cold. :confused: Your chicks hatched, my ducklings hatched after dropping to 52F the night before lockdown, Ralphie left his on top of the hatcher at 70 degrees for 20 hours and all his hatched. Seems like it might be worth a shot. :idunno :p

Got the second batch in the hatcher now, and it looks like I'm gonna get 100% hatch rate on these. Now I just need to figure out how to get 100% on peafowl and Muscovies. 

Where do you get your peahen eggs from? I have a girl in my town that is looking for peahens/peacocks. I told her if we could find eggs that I would try to at hatch them for her.

Back
Top Bottom