trying to understand genetics and the probabillity of passing on features

starkist72

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
i'm sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area, I wasn't sure where it belongs

i'm raising chickens for the first time with my children and kept 3 chickens out of the batch my children hatched. it was confirmed this morning that our favorite chicken is a roo and i'm trying to figure out where to home him. i may bring him to the farm where i brought the others but i had the idea of bringing him to a friend who i'll be able to get hatching eggs from, at least for a while. i'm wondering the probability of passing on some of his features.

he's a barnyard mix. he came from a blue egg, he's frizzled, white and has green feathered legs with 4 toes.

i know he's just a mutt, but we love him and my kids are going to be very upset that we can't keep him, i'm wondering if it's worth the effort to try to get a hen from his offspring.

Last edited:
i'm sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area, I wasn't sure where it belongs
... he came from a blue egg, he's frizzled, white and has green feathered legs with 4 toes....
Blue egg gene is dominant, but his fatehr may or may not have carried it, which gives 50/50 odss of him inheriting the gene if father did not carry it. Paired with a blue egg laying hen, you would have at least 50% chance of the offspring laying blue eggs. Paired with a brown egg laying hen 50% chance green, 50% chance brown. Paired with a white egg laying hen, 50% chance white, 50% chance blue. If he is pure for the blue egg gene, then (female) offspring will lay blue or green eggs.

Frizzle is incompletely dominant. He appears to have one copy, which means that half his offspring will be frizzled.

Blue egg gene is dominant, but his fatehr may or may not have carried it, which gives 50/50 odss of him inheriting the gene if father did not carry it. Paired with a blue egg laying hen, you would have at least 50% chance of the offspring laying blue eggs. Paired with a brown egg laying hen 50% chance green, 50% chance brown. Paired with a white egg laying hen, 50% chance white, 50% chance blue. If he is pure for the blue egg gene, then (female) offspring will lay blue or green eggs.

Frizzle is incompletely dominant. He appears to have one copy, which means that half his offspring will be frizzled.

thank you so much, there's so much to learn!

Back
Top Bottom