Tsc chicks seem to be dropping like flies...

corrabelle

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Southern Ontario Canada
We have some new chicks, (started with 11) less than a week old, we bought from our local tractor supply.
One died the first day, shortly after we got it. A second one died this morning. It had a leg that was limp and it couldn't balance. Last night I moved it to its own brooder so it wouldn't get trampled, and thought I'd see how it did over night, and it was dead this morning. Last night all the other chicks seemed to be normal and healthy.
Then around noon today, another went all wobbly, and lop sided. It couldn't balance, or stay on its legs. It would just roll over and twitch. I separated it, again, and watched it through the day. For lack of a better way of describing it, it looks like this chick has Parkinson's disease. It's got some sort of muscular palsy.
We're going to put her out if her misery, and I'll definitely call the hatchery on Monday.
But what on earth do you think could be wrong with my chicks? None of our other rounds of chicks had any problem, other than one ameraucana with a scissor beak.
Bedding is pine shavings (not cedar), watering fount and feeders were sterilized before we used them. Theyre on the same chick starter as our other chicks. Water is changed and cleaned several times a day.

It's shipping stress or not being well cared for at the feed store. Every feed store is different, and it depends on how well the staff knows chickens and keeps them supplied with water. Pasty butt is a problem, and every day for the first week or so, check the vent to make sure it is clear. If not wash it under warm water with some soap, and dry the vent well.
Shipping stress usually causes dehydration , pasty butt, and can be treated with electrolytes in the water, dipping the beaks or feeding fluids from a dropper as often as possible, until the chick starts to act better. Poultry Nutridrench is very food to use. If it has been going on too long they may not recover. Make sure they are warm enough, but not too warm.

While that all makes sense, i dont think the feed store is the issue. We were told in advance what time the chicks were arriving, and to be there within half an hour, for comfort sake of the chicks. They arrived at 11:17am and they were in my car by 11:32, and home and it a heated brooder by noon.
The hatchery is only 1.5 hours away.
They all drank water treated with electrolytes, and were happily moving about and exploring the brooder. None of them had pasty butt, and still don't. That was never an issue.

But a leg going limp, then losing balance, unable to stand up, twitching and seizing...those are the things that are happening. And, They were vaccinated for mereks routinely.

Ive spoken with a few others now who got chicks from them the same day and they're having problems too :(

I will call the hatchery on monday when they reopen.
I dont know if their issue is a major vitamin deficiency, something neurological or if maybe this is comunicable. Im hoping its not.

That actually sounds some what similar to what's happening to one of my baby ducks I purchased from TSC. That's what caught my attention about your post. I only have 4 & mine where purchased just for pets, but.. They are just now 3 weeks old, I as well feed mine the starter. & about a week ago one of my ducks all the sudden is no longer walking properly, he can't stand all the way up, the poor guys has to waddle around their box & is doing so on basically the bottoms of his legs instead of his webbed feet. & as well, seems to have a problem now fully opening his webbing. I wonder if its just a developmental issue.

Hi, I am sorry about your chick and duck losses.
I was wondering if you both used the same brand of feed? I am not sure what kind of feed is used for ducks, but am assuming it's chick starter. Have you checked recall sites for chick food? Just like our food, I am sure that chick food can get contaminated, however they probably are not as diligent about recalling for animals as they are for humans.

Also if your tsc bought from the same hatchery?
And if they were vaccinated for anything? If they were, what were they vaccinated for?
If you could find similarities between them, that might help narrow down the issue.
Is it possible the hatchery had a contaminated vaccine?
I wish I could help you more, just thought since there were multiple people having these issues, it might be a good idea to investigate further.

While that all makes sense, i dont think the feed store is the issue. We were told in advance what time the chicks were arriving, and to be there within half an hour, for comfort sake of the chicks. They arrived at 11:17am and they were in my car by 11:32, and home and it a heated brooder by noon.
The hatchery is only 1.5 hours away.
They all drank water treated with electrolytes, and were happily moving about and exploring the brooder. None of them had pasty butt, and still don't. That was never an issue.

But a leg going limp, then losing balance, unable to stand up, twitching and seizing...those are the things that are happening. And, They were vaccinated for mereks routinely.

Ive spoken with a few others now who got chicks from them the same day and they're having problems too :(

I will call the hatchery on monday when they reopen.
I dont know if their issue is a major vitamin deficiency, something neurological or if maybe this is comunicable. Im hoping its not.

Have they still got electrolyte water? If so there might be an imbalance. I'd give plain water for a while and see if it helps

Last edited:
I hope they respond, looking at the date they posted its been well over a month. So hopefully no more chicks were lost.
Good point silkiechickstar about the electrolytes

Back
Top Bottom