TSC Chicks - What did I get?

labhaven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I went to TSC to get some chicks and came home with a dozen. I'm not so sure they were labeled correctly or that the kids didn't put them back in the wrong bins.
hmm.png
Anyways, all is well with them and I'm hoping to end up with some hens out of the batch! I took 6 Golden Comets and 6 straight run Assorted Reds. The 6 Comets appear to be two different breeds because the wings are white on two and have speckled markings on the other 4. Any thoughts on what breeds they all are? Hopefully, a decent percentage of hens! They will be 2 weeks old this weekend. Thanks for your input.
cool.png

white wings on "golden comets". Could the be cornish x's?
38507_dsc00512.jpg

speckled wings on "golden comets"

assorted reds

assorted reds

Last edited:
Chicks are growing fast. I'm still not sure what the light colored ones are. Two of them have no markings on their wings. The others have speckled wings. They are getting whiter by the day so I don't think they are golden comets like I was told. I'm starting to think I have a lot of roos! Any thoughts on the breeds now that they are a little older? Think these three are roos? Thanks for any feedback.

38507_dsc00520.jpg

38507_dsc00519.jpg

38507_dsc00518.jpg

maybe cornish, red sex link ( aka amberlink? mine looked like that) , buff orpington?

and if you grabbed them from the straight run bin you DO have mostly roos!

I think the first bird is a meat bird. The second one looks like what I got from TSC. Since they turned out to be roos, we butchered them along with the meat bird, but we never could find out what they were. No one knew.

IMG_0578.jpg

Well, I took a gamble getting chicks from TSC. Lesson learned. I just found a local farm that raises Buff Orps and Australorps. I love my Australorps. Even my roo is laid back and friendly. I'll see if I end up with any hens in this batch and if not, I'll get some BO's and Australorps from the local guy.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom