TSC Mystery Pullets, what are they?

elouxsis

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Fairfax, CA
Hello! I got 6 chicks from the tractor supply store (curse you, chick days!) yesterday. This will be our first chicken adventure, we want them for egg production-- and I'm wondering if anyone can help with possible breed identification. There seem to be two types--
. This one is slightly smaller and has a bit of grey on the incoming wings-- I'm guessing perhaps a Delaware?
Another pic of her
. She is my favorite so far .

The other five seem to be all one type-- uniform yellow/white with no other colors visible, like this one:
. Sorry she wasn't standing-- here's a face pic.

Any ideas? I'm hoping for white rocks or anything that isn't a leghorn-- we've got a 3 yo boy and I've heard leghorns are not the calmest!

The TSC in our area gets their chicks from Privett in New Mexico-- if that might help. Also, they came out of the "pullet" bin. They also had a bin of Red Pullets which was empty, a bin of straight run leghorns, some sort of bantams, and another bin of ducklings. Any help appreciated! It does seem like the slightly smaller chick with the barring is calmer, though a few of the solid yellow/whites don't mind being picked up as much as some of the others.

They are super cute , and if they are leghorns, when will we be able to tell? A pleasant leghorn can hang around, but any snarky nasty chickens will be finding a new home. We don't need lap pets but we don't want aggressive hens.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not familiar enough with Leghorn chicks to say whether they look like Leghorns or not, but it's early days yet. That pale down will either turn to white feathers, or they'll start developing some color within the next 2 months. Leghorns will be lighter and leaner; Rocks will be sturdier. Temperament-wise, well, not all Leghorns are nasty. They may be more nervous, but if you handle these chicks a lot then they will be calmer around people. Time and again when raising nervous breeds, we've found that the chicks that got a lot of human contact are much easier to work with.

Individual temperament does play a role. I have the worst luck with silver-laced Wyandottes: we have yet to get a placid one, despite their being a heavy breed. Of our d'Uccles, half have been sweet and docile, and half were leaping cackling maniacs. So sometimes the temperament doesn't match breed expectactions. Keep an eye on how they behave, and be sure to give any fussy ones extra handling. Enjoy! :)

Last year I got chicks from TSC and got the same one they told me it was a hybrid between a leghorn and something else (sorry I forgot) but they told me it was called a "Tetra Tint" pullet that was bred only for tractor supply but they seem to be good egg layers! Hope that helps!

#3 and #2 are the same chick, and yes, that one seems to object more to being handled than the first-- the first on practically jumps in my hands now when I reach into the brooder....!

Leghorns are more skittish than many other breeds, but they're not the devil or anything. They just don't want to be cuddled. I have several Leghorns in my flock, and they are under my feet as much as the rest of them.

They are great layers of gorgeous eggs, so if you have a Leghorn (and that one chick does look like one) don't be too disappointed.

here is the chick that has bits of black on her-- Any breed guesses now that she is starting to feather? Coloring does not seem to be as organized as a Delaware....

Back
Top Bottom