tukey with swollen face

buck-wild-chick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Hamilton C. FL
OK, my friend just bought a turkey like 2 weeks ago((guy selling them on the side of the road
roll.png
)).. It's under weight and needs to be wormed. But I went over there today and half its face on the right side is swollen..

In goats you would call this bottle jaw and, it means they need to be wormed.. Well She is planning on worming it tomorrow with ivemic. But has anyone heard about this ? I looked online and couldn't find anything.. But I did look on his face and didnt see any marks or cuts. But he has a weired looking beak. Its really staright compared to my turkeys. He is eating and seems fine other wise.

I heard about this in peafowl when I was trying to treat mine for a problem they had and it is my general understanding that turkeys and peafowl are similar in their diseases. Here is a link to a site I found that says what it may be. http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/
I
could not find the site but I read that an injection of tylan 50 into the nostrils may cure it, if I can find the site I will post it.

Thanks guys, The pic does look like the turkey's swelling, same place but its not that server YET..

The lady works for a vet so Does anyone know the dosage for tylan ?

Thanks,

A better drug would be Baytril which she would have to get from a vet but for her it would be no problem.
Baytril will work on either Infectous Sinusitus (CRD) or Coryza. If it is CRD then the Tylan may treat the symptoms but not the cause. In short order it will flare up again.

up to 1cc of tylan 50 injected(squirted) directly into the nostril as per indicated on the aforementioned page.

Back
Top Bottom