Tumors on 13 Week Old Pullet?

EmilyChickens

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2012
New Jersey
Hi all,

This is my 13 week old Maran pullet. She comes from a batch of 17 (now 12 because of deaths) that i’ve had nothing but problems with. At around 2 weeks old they all got a horrific upper respiratory infection and were on antibiotics and kept inside for weeks. I have no clue what is going on with them.
As for this, I am REALLY hoping this isn’t something pointing towards Mareks, but I have a feeling it is. One of the other pullets in this group is having leg problems (one side is not working correctly and sits straight out in front of her) but all the rest are fine as of right now. If it were Mareks would the whole batch (and the rest of my flock) be showing symptoms by now? This year has been such a poor year for chickens and I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on.
F3782885-E7C4-493A-BACE-5CBC59649467.jpeg F42C9177-DF30-4CEF-AF64-6C3D21A303D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you take her to a vet?
I'm not sure what is going on with her.
Could be Marek's or even a relapse/result of whatever respiratory illness they had when they were young.
It would be very good if you can have some testing performed.
I wonder if @azygous has ever seen this?

Here's a link to your other thread about (I assume) the same batch of chicks. The video was helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-upper-resperatory-problems-or-something-else.1275715/
I’ll see about taking her to a vet, i want to monitor this for a few days and see if it progresses or not, because right now she’s still acting normal.

That thread was actually from a separate batch of chickens, but from the same hatchery. This year I’ve had nothing but bad luck with every batch I received from the hatchery I use.
(unrelated to this batch of chicks but just a history of what’s been going on this year)
First group of 12 got coccidia and all died even with persistent treatment. We actually had one sent to our state lab and the coccidia load was off the charts after having them on medicated chick starter, corid in the water, and individually dosing each chick by weight to give corid directly for over a week.
Second group was the one in that thread, which started out okay. The one in that video ended up having a ruptured air sack and she died. I’ve recently lost two more of the birds now that they’re grown, with no sign of being unhealthy until within a few hours of them dying.
The behavior in the video is similar to what was going on with this third group when they had the RI, the whole huddling and gasping for air, just minus the head shaking. Three of them died from it, I managed to save the rest and they were all doing well until this past week when the two mentioned started with these odd symptoms. I’m getting frustrated at this point.

I’ll see about taking her to a vet, i want to monitor this for a few days and see if it progresses or not, because right now she’s still acting normal.

That thread was actually from a separate batch of chickens, but from the same hatchery. This year I’ve had nothing but bad luck with every batch I received from the hatchery I use.
(unrelated to this batch of chicks but just a history of what’s been going on this year)
First group of 12 got coccidia and all died even with persistent treatment. We actually had one sent to our state lab and the coccidia load was off the charts after having them on medicated chick starter, corid in the water, and individually dosing each chick by weight to give corid directly for over a week.
Second group was the one in that thread, which started out okay. The one in that video had a ruptured air sack. I’ve since lost two more of the birds with no sign of being unhealthy until within a few hours of them dying.
The behavior in the video is similar to what was going on with this third group when they had the RI, the whole huddling and gasping for air, just minus the head shaking. Three of them died from it, I managed to save the rest and they were all doing well until this past week when the two mentioned started with these odd symptoms. I’m getting frustrated at this point.
It sounds like you've had a bad year, I'm sorry:hugs

It would be a very good idea to contact your state lab to see if they can perform any testing. You may be able to send photos and details via email, you never know and they can consult with you that way. It's worth a try.

It sounds like you've had a bad year, I'm sorry:hugs

It would be a very good idea to contact your state lab to see if they can perform any testing. You may be able to send photos and details via email, you never know and they can consult with you that way. It's worth a try.
For sure! In the 8 years I’ve had chickens I’ve never had so much stuff go wrong all at once, and not to toot my own horn but I keep my birds very well taken care of so I know it’s not something I’m doing. I have birds going on 8 years that are still hardy and healthy. I personally think it was the hatchery I was using, which really sucks because in years prior they’ve been the best out of the few I’ve ordered from.

I’ll definitely contact my state lab and see if I can email the photos over. That’s a great idea.

Could even be bad genetics, weakened immune systems. Seen posts from some other members buying from hatcheries and having bad luck, so your not alone. And it wasn't your hatchery these were in IA

Back
Top Bottom