Turkey butchering

chickensrme

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 3, 2007
Maine
i have some questions about butchering turkeys.

1. how do you do it

2.how old r they when you do it.

3. what do you feed them for the last month to fattin them up and make them tasty.

4. do i slaughter the toms first or the hens or do i leave the toms to get fatter,

thanks for all the help in advanced.

thank you that was very informative the only question i have is does anyone have any tips on plucking to make it easier.

Hi, I am the author of that article. Glad you enjoyed it.

Since no one has answered your question about an easier way of pulling the feathers. I have been informed by others that parfin wax allowed to set helps. As does debraining the bird and dry plucking while it is still warm.

I have yet to do these things. But we are going to attempt debraining this fall.

Good luck.

I've never done the de-braining or the parafin trick (let us know how it goes with those!), but always did turkeys and geese when they were bled out. It's just a lot of work, no getting around it. Just dry pluck and have some time on your hands (and a trash bag for the turkey feathers and the heavy, thick feathers of the goose. The soft down feathers of the goose we put in a pillow case and save them since a lady friend of mine makes goose feather comforters and pillows).

Thanks so much for shareing that with us. WOW.....I have butchered many chickens...and a few were close to 8 pounds...we are just starting out with turkeys, and I cant waite for the day we will have our OWN thanksgiving turkey. yum yum.
You said you let it set in the fridge, in apple juice? Does that work the same way as salt water? Ohhh, my mouth was watering, just thinking of that HUGE bird in the oven! Thanks again! I have to say tho...I am not looking forward to the "musk" smell. UGH!

The official weight of that turkey was 38 lbs. No special diet and no caponizing.

As for the apple juice. I had to place him in a trash bag as my roasting pan barely held him. I pour a quart of apple juice in with him, and turned him over every few hours. Then the night before we cooked him, we let him lay breast down, pouring more apple juice into the cavity. He was very moist.

A little dish soap in the scalding water helps to loosen the feathers, scalding temp needs to be between 147-150 for the best feather removal:)

38 pounds??
ep.gif
WOW!! Now THATS a lot of leftovers! LOL The apple juice sounds good. Iwill have to try that. Now, a question....when butchering a chicken, I know...let it cool down in cold water for about an hr before freezing. Is it the same with turkeys? Im sure we will have more than one at a time that will have to go.

Back
Top Bottom