Turkey Dying? Can't move...

I'vegotchickenfever

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Northwest Florida
I've tried to find an answer in the BYC archives, but can't seem to find anything similar. A couple days ago, our 5 week old turkey poult started walking funny, (as if they don't ALWAYS walk funny).
Now, he lays on his side, with legs outstretched. I thought maybe the predator that got 11 out of 23 chicks a few days ago was the culprit, but we now believe it's not his legs. We lifted his wings and saw large air bubbles under the skin at the joint where the wing meets the breast. His poos are ok and he is drinking ok, too. They are still on game bird starter. If anyone has ANY input at all, it would be greatly appreciated. These are our first turkeys, and I've heard they are hard to raise, but they were doing great just last week. I don't understand.
Thanks in advance.

Guess not many of us know much about turkeys? Guess I'll bump myself up for a sec, and check back again later.
roll.png

my turkey's legs are paralyzed but that's because he was stupid and jumped off the barn roof and broke his breastbone. i don't know what the bubbles might mean, but if he's alert then that's a good sign.

Could he have been dust bathing or sun bathing? My turkeys were sun bathing on their side all stretched out today. Air pockets don't sound normal though.. I'm new to turkeys myself so hopefully someone more experienced will know.

It sounds like mareks but I don't remember if they can get mareks
I will email Nathalie Ross "threehorses" to come on and help out she raises turkeys and comes here to answer questions
if so overall the turkey could use some Vit E for the E.coli it may have

a 1000 mg of Vit E cut end off the capsule and put the capsule in the beak of the turkey and squeeze it so the Vit E goes down his throat

then do it again in 6 hrs and keep it up
it may help the neurological system of the bird
as it is effected now with the paraylisis

email me any questions

Last edited:
There are a number of things that can cause a poultry to appear paralyzed. Botulism, algae poisoning, other illnesses weakening him, vitamin deficiencies (E usually), heat stroke, mareks (yes turkeys can get it), etc.

I'd like more information on what he was doing on his side, and where he is now, please?

Also I'm going to ask you a barrage of specific questions that I would also need answered. please be patient and answer them all as they were all chosen for a specific reason. (See them at the bottom of this post)

I'm assuming you've moved him to a nice safe place, yes? Can he sit on his breast or is he still on his side? Are his legs straight out stiff or limp? Is he moving them as if to get up at all? Is there a way you can straighten him up onto his breast, even if it means putting a couple of cinderblocks on each side so he'll have a more normal position?

Are the air sacs in a place where, if he sits normally, he'll put pressure on them possibly making it uncomfortable for him?

Are the air sacs in the vicinity of his ribs? There are some illnesses that cause infection of the air sacs, a respiratory disorder. Is he showing any other signs of respiratory illness or distress? Any swelling around the eyes? Additionally, a ruptured air sac would cause what you've described (which immediately makes me think of the predator attack you mentioned). I'd check the bird extremely carefullly in the area for undiscovered puncture wounds.

In the mean time, stabilization is important. Get the bird up, hydrated, cooled off, in a normal position, safe. Nutrition in him if you can. Hyration could include gatorade or other electrolytes in the water, pedialyte being another good choice.

OK now the questions:

Age, type, diet (exactly waht you're feeding please - everything), water - plain or supplemented? Is he kept with other poultry? Caged, penned, free range? Are there any compost piles, decaying vegetation like leaf piles, etc on the property? Are there any ponds without flowing water, puddles, algae? Does the bird have access to living grass/greens to eat? Is the feed that you use very fresh, a good turnover from the feedstore? Never any tiny holes in the bag, smells very fresh? Not dusty?

Are you on city water or well? Is the bird of good weight, no recent weight loss? Are the droppings normal? What is normal to your bird?

Was this bird bred at your place of offsite? If offsite, are there any vaccinations of which you were aware?

Did the bird have a sudden growth spurt or weight gain? Any sign of difficulty walking before (typical broad breasted walking difficulties for example)? IS this a broadbreasted turkey?

I've tried to find an answer in the BYC archives, but can't seem to find anything similar. A couple days ago, our 5 week old turkey poult started walking funny, (as if they don't ALWAYS walk funny).
Now, he lays on his side, with legs outstretched. I thought maybe the predator that got 11 out of 23 chicks a few days ago was the culprit, but we now believe it's not his legs. We lifted his wings and saw large air bubbles under the skin at the joint where the wing meets the breast. His poos are ok and he is drinking ok, too. They are still on game bird starter. If anyone has ANY input at all, it would be greatly appreciated. These are our first turkeys, and I've heard they are hard to raise, but they were doing great just last week. I don't understand.
Thanks in advance.
HELP my turkey is got this too!!!
Just saw this post but what do I do?? Does the turkey get better?? WHAT is causing this??

Back
Top Bottom