Turkey gender!!

Bird1805

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 15, 2012
This is Toby, we all thought he was a she for a while but now I'm beginning to think he's a he... Any thoughts?? How can we tell??

I had thought the same thing, but it's never gobbled, but I have heard it cluck. Just odd, I thought the Toms/Jakes would gobble before they hit 5 months? I could be wrong, I'm new to the turkeys! It's got me confused LOL

Is that a broad breasted, and why can't I see a snood on its head, it should have a fleshy bit on top of its beak that toms can enlarge and lower down, on hens the snood remains small, it is confusing, it large of bone like a Tom, but I'm not seeing any of the other signs, have you tried using a turkey call to see if it tries to gobble.

Is that a broad breasted, and why can't I see a snood on its head, it should have a fleshy bit on top of its beak that toms can enlarge and lower down, on hens the snood remains small, it is confusing, it large of bone like a Tom, but I'm not seeing any of the other signs, have you tried using a turkey call to see if it tries to gobble.

Isn't it strange?? When it was younger it had rubbed the tiny snood and it never came back.. It didn't like being in the coop and would pace and try to get out, until I purchased the ducks, then he stopped his pacing... I still thought it was odd that the snood never grew considering it looks so much like a male.. I actually cluck to it, and it will cluck back. Never heard it gobble before. BUT (only with me) it will puff up and tuck his head in (like a Tom) and make a weird noise and then it tries to attack me (like a Tom)...
It definitley has large bones, do the broad breasted turkeys have bigger bones?
I bought it at a local feed store, they were listed as "turkeys" lol... I also thought maybe it is a broad breast because the poor thing never roosts, and doesn't attempt to fly at all.. He gets himself in with my horses and then doesnt realize it can fly up over the fencing... It's a very confused bird. UNLESS he is a broad breast, they aren't able to fly at all are they?

Back
Top Bottom