Turkey Hatching Problems

Darkfeather

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
I've had trouble hatching any of my Royal palm turkey eggs but I finally got one to term.

Unfortunately, yesterday which was day 27, someone locked my cats in my room and they knocked over the incubator. I came home to this and quickly put the incubator back together and put the egg back in. Fortunately it had survived as it was peeping very loudly last night after it warmed up again.

The peeping has since quieted down and there's been no pipping yet. I'm worried whether this chick will be strong enough to hatch on its own after yesterday's trauma.

I've had little luck with anyone replying to my posts on these forums in the past so please any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I opened the egg and he was already dead. :(

He also looks deformed? Beak crooked and one eye is very large and the other is very small or not there.

I opened the egg and he was already dead.
sad.png

He also looks deformed? Beak crooked and one eye is very large and the other is very small or not there.
What a shame, maybe you can try again. Were they shipped eggs? If you have anymore questions about hatching check out the incubating and hatching section. Many knowledgeable people frequent this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-right-whos-wrong-no-one/24160#post_15876619 . There is alot of info there and there is usually someone about. Wishing you all the best.

What a shame, maybe you can try again. Were they shipped eggs? If you have anymore questions about hatching check out the incubating and hatching section. Many knowledgeable people frequent this thread   https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-right-whos-wrong-no-one/24160#post_15876619 . There is alot of info there and there is usually someone about. Wishing you all the best.

No they were from my own turkeys and I'm pretty sure they're done laying for the season. Maybe next year.

And thank you I might check that out. I have a lot more luck with chicken eggs. Turkeys though...

I'm assuming you are using an incubator, sorry, I don't have much to add about using them, I use my Bantam hens to hatch all my turkey eggs, they do a wonderful job, incubators have so many things to factor in, hopefully you'll get some next year.

Back
Top Bottom