Turkey lame

meflock

Hatching
Dec 23, 2022
Hello, I am new to this chat. I have often found backyard chickens very useful when I have read others advice on things I'm also dealing with. However, I cannot find a thread on this. We have a tom and hen (Tom and Henny, original right 😉). The first week of December I noticed Tom was trying to mount Henny like usual and he's always had trouble. Seems he could never get on her properly. We called him clumsy or he was too fat to get his legs up on her. But after trying this last time he staggered. Like he was loosing his balance. We thought it was odd and kept watching. After another try he gave up and as usual, Henny attacked him for not getting the dead done. But this time Tom lost his balance and fell on his back and tried to get up, when we got him up right he stretched his neck and stayed like that for a a little bit. We thought he had a heart attack and was going to die. We supported him the best we could during this episode and he eventually recovered enough to get him to his coop. We put him in for the night and the next day he couldn't walk. This legs are in front of him it seems as he's trying to get up but can't. We've been giving him scrambled eggs, crushed shells and vit E because we thought he might be deficient. He doesn't want to eat his mash anymore and doesn't want to drink much so we've been trying to give electrolyte. If anyone knows what to do, we'd greatly appreciate it. They are our pet turkeys only having the pair. We are not very seasoned in raising them.

Do you have any pictures? So sorry this is happening. I am unsure since I don’t own turkeys, but hopefully my post will bump this thread up.

Hello, I am new to this chat. I have often found backyard chickens very useful when I have read others advice on things I'm also dealing with. However, I cannot find a thread on this. We have a tom and hen (Tom and Henny, original right 😉). The first week of December I noticed Tom was trying to mount Henny like usual and he's always had trouble. Seems he could never get on her properly. We called him clumsy or he was too fat to get his legs up on her. But after trying this last time he staggered. Like he was loosing his balance. We thought it was odd and kept watching. After another try he gave up and as usual, Henny attacked him for not getting the dead done. But this time Tom lost his balance and fell on his back and tried to get up, when we got him up right he stretched his neck and stayed like that for a a little bit. We thought he had a heart attack and was going to die. We supported him the best we could during this episode and he eventually recovered enough to get him to his coop. We put him in for the night and the next day he couldn't walk. This legs are in front of him it seems as he's trying to get up but can't. We've been giving him scrambled eggs, crushed shells and vit E because we thought he might be deficient. He doesn't want to eat his mash anymore and doesn't want to drink much so we've been trying to give electrolyte. If anyone knows what to do, we'd greatly appreciate it. They are our pet turkeys only having the pair. We are not very seasoned in raising them.
How old is the turkey? I don't know much about turkeys but when i looked it up it could be Mycoplasma infection which can be transmitted through mating. It causes swollen joints, lameness, and possibly respiratory diseases.

He is 8 months. We don't know if he's ever mated with our hen as he's always had trouble mounting. I haven't heard of mycoplasma. I will look into this further.

He is 8 months. We don't know if he's ever mated with our hen as he's always had trouble mounting. I haven't heard of mycoplasma. I will look into this further.
yeah again i'm no expert and i'm also not sure thats what it is that is just what a quick google search said it could possibly be.

I just googled it and I don't believe that's it. His legs don't seem swollen. Its just that his legs are in front of him, he looks like he's in pain as he kicks like he is trying to get up. He's got an ok appetite but he has lost weight. We kind of did that intentionally just in case it was his weight. But he just seems miserable. I don't have any pictures. I can see if I can take some tomorrow. Don't want to open the coop door with negative weather.

I just googled it and I don't believe that's it. His legs don't seem swollen. Its just that his legs are in front of him, he looks like he's in pain as he kicks like he is trying to get up. He's got an ok appetite but he has lost weight. We kind of did that intentionally just in case it was his weight. But he just seems miserable. I don't have any pictures. I can see if I can take some tomorrow. Don't want to open the coop door with negative weather.
alright i hope he is a little better tomorrow! Also hopefully someone who is more experienced will find this thread because i dont think i can really offer any good advice.

Back
Top Bottom