Turkey mom laying on duck eggs

stressed823

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Can anyone tell me if they have had any luck putting duck eggs under a turkey hen.My grand kids want to get runner duck eggs and we dont have an incubator but we do have a turkey hen that just lays unfertile eggs,she seems to be a good mom about tending to her nest and just wasnt sure if this would work.Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

I don't know about duck eggs, but my turkey hen hatched out a batch of chickens. Her own eggs had been stolen from her, but she still continued to sit without them. We couldn't break her up, so we thought we'd give it a try.

My turkey hens have hatched duck eggs before. They are my BEST incubators in the chicken yard. They have hatched duck, chicken, goose and pea fowl eggs. They have a 100% hatch rate. They are THE BEST mother hens in the chicken yard as well . I trust them to hatch ANY and ALL eggs that I need hatch.

The proof is in the picture. These hens sat on a variety of birds eggs. You can see the duckling in the pic that they hatched. :)See below.

Last edited:
I'm doing the opposite.....I have a muscovy duck hatching turkey eggs! My incubator was full so I gave her a bunch of turkey eggs. She's my best hatcher. My other broody duck was happy to add her eggs to her clutch so I could switch out with turkey eggs.

Back
Top Bottom