turkey poults panting

Andrew1489

Hatching
Apr 25, 2020
I just bought 8 bourbon red turkey poults. It was like 80 degrees today I have them in a box and they are all grouped together like they are cold so I put a heat lamp in which isn't directly on them..they are also very quiet.. they are still grouped together like they are cold but they are panting at the same time. I'm confused.. they've been sitting in the same spot since I got them. They have water and food but they're not drinking. I'm guessing they are getting used to their new home. I read turkeys need heat even in the summer so not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I just bought 8 bourbon red turkey poults. It was like 80 degrees today I have them in a box and they are all grouped together like they are cold so I put a heat lamp in which isn't directly on them..they are also very quiet.. they are still grouped together like they are cold but they are panting at the same time. I'm confused.. they've been sitting in the same spot since I got them. They have water and food but they're not drinking. I'm guessing they are getting used to their new home. I read turkeys need heat even in the summer so not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
If the poults are newly hatched, they should be in a brooder with the temperature at 90°F measured at the bedding level. The brooder needs to be big enough that they can have the warm zone and a cooler zone where the food and water is.

Lower the temperatures by 5°F once a week. In two weeks they will be able to handle 80°F. If the temperature drops below that at night, they will still need supplemental heat at night.

Back
Top Bottom