HELP! Turkey poult clavicle bone has broken skin & sticking out of chest!

JesusandPeonies

Hatching
Jul 20, 2023
I have a 4 week old turkey poult that i noticed a couple days ago wasnt doing well. Very depressed, droopy wings, would just sit under the heat lamp not active like normal. I pulled them out and seperated from the rest. Its been 3 days, Ive noticed tiny bit of improvement, more moving around and will lightly peck at food.

The day I noticed this poult was not doing well I felt a sharp bone poking out in lower chest area and assumed it was anorexia from maybe them not eating (which was odd to me because these turkeys go crazy for food and never noticed one not eating). I've been trying to nurse it back to health unsure what the heck is wrong and this morning I walked into the entire Clavicle (I think?) bone sticking out of its chest, broken through the skin and everything. There is zero blood, and the turkey is still walking around/ moving.

Now instead of an illness I'm wondering if this poor thing somehow got injured and was in bad pain.

I have no idea what to do! Please any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Agree, just at a loss of what's going on. Was wondering if anyone else has every experienced something similar. Odd thing is they are more active today then the last 3. Some people I have spoken to say cull some say maybe muscle can grow around bone?
If it were mine I'd probably cull. Not sure if it can be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom