Turkey Poults Strutting

KW Farms

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Wapato, WA
All four of my poults were strutting today. They're 5 1/2 weeks old. Does this mean they're likely to be male or do both male and female poults do this? I've also been hearing some little gobbles from them off and on recently. This is my first time raising turkeys. Having a lot of fun with them. All four are pretty friendly. They are such characters and lots of fun to watch.

Sounds like you have Toms but you can not be sure really...I have 3 Narragansett poults hatched 5/29/13 and 1 is making a try at gobbling...the other 2 I am praying for to be hens and so far they act like hens...have a friend that raises Narrys and she told me the toms are more curious the hens reserved you have to vent them to be sure...I do not do that you can hurt them and it is fun for me to guess what they are going to be!! I also have a 2 year old Narry tom Mr. Henry and a Royal Palm hen named Maggie May...love my turkeys!! They are such smart and cool birds!

Last year we got a little poult that would strut, and she is definitely a she! Hatched a clutch this year for us actually and I've already seen one of her babies strut too. XD It's so cute when they strut so young. We have two in the house right now that are about 3 weeks old, I had them running around the house and they were actually trying to do "breed" eachother. Lol, it was really silly.

This is her strutting last year. XD So cute!

we had one of our turkey chicks strut this year too!! (3rd year of turkeys) less than a week old, no tail feathers, maybe 2 rows of wing feathers, and in a FULL strut!! one of the cutest things EVER!!! :)

It looks like you have a Narragansett poult!! They are my favorites!! I have a 2 year old tom Mr. Henry and 3 peeps. Well I am not going to freak if my poults start strutting!! I am hoping for hens!! Your peeps a gorgeous!

^Haha. After I saw them all strutting. I was all excited thinking mine were all boys. They're going in the freezer...if I can get up the courage to go through with it. I've become a wee bit attached to them unfortunately. They're so friendly...such characters too! Hope yours is a girl!

Meh!! Eventually, you can get tired of them!! Especially big boys- who do nothing but eat expensive food, fight, and poop everywhere! At least with a hen, you get a nice egg once in a while! But that is just my opinion!!
wink.png

Oh my I love my tom Mr. Henry...he is a character and a half...he is very smart! This time of year he gets a bit crazy...spring fever! When he gets like that I put him on lock down and he gets cooled off...he hates being in the coop..he is very smart, he knows his name,what NO means...he has people he does not like...I finally found him a hen and he is quite taken with her this is amazing because he had never seen his own kind before! I also got him 3 poults...he loves them also...I am hoping for a hen or two...if they are toms I am going to bave a feast if I can go thru with butchering them!

Back
Top Bottom