Turkey screaming and itching?!

Spottyturkeyowner

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
Hi, I’m new to backyard chickens!

my turkey poult (almost 3 weeks old) is the only turkey amongst ducklings and chicks. He was doing fine and was very active and happy until earlier today when he started screaming constantly and running around everywhere only stopping to itch his neck or stab at his feet with his beak. He also hides behind things and sometimes steps on the duck which he never used to do.

He is calm when we pick him up and sits there with his eyes closed. We noticed that his foot was bleeding due to him pecking at it. There was also some bits of white stuff on him, we’re not too sure what that is. Other than that, up to now we can’t see any traces of fleas or other insects.

I’ve attached pictures of the white stuff (looks a bit like dandruff but probably isn’t) and also some weird brown stuff on his foot, not sure if he’s just stepped in poo though, but it’s not coming off. There’s also a little bump on his head, is that normal for turkeys?

thanks in advance for any help, it is very appreciated :)

Attachments

• A5095DE8-405F-4211-AEEF-089A6951CE46.jpeg
    A5095DE8-405F-4211-AEEF-089A6951CE46.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 59
  • F01FD3C3-0DB5-4F30-A31A-13B5FE339C5C.jpeg
    F01FD3C3-0DB5-4F30-A31A-13B5FE339C5C.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 36
  • F918CAC6-2BCA-432E-9734-8B137B78F0E8.jpeg
    F918CAC6-2BCA-432E-9734-8B137B78F0E8.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 36
Hi, I’m new to backyard chickens!

my turkey poult (almost 3 weeks old) is the only turkey amongst ducklings and chicks. He was doing fine and was very active and happy until earlier today when he started screaming constantly and running around everywhere only stopping to itch his neck or stab at his feet with his beak. He also hides behind things and sometimes steps on the duck which he never used to do.

He is calm when we pick him up and sits there with his eyes closed. We noticed that his foot was bleeding due to him pecking at it. There was also some bits of white stuff on him, we’re not too sure what that is. Other than that, up to now we can’t see any traces of fleas or other insects.

I’ve attached pictures of the white stuff (looks a bit like dandruff but probably isn’t) and also some weird brown stuff on his foot, not sure if he’s just stepped in poo though, but it’s not coming off. There’s also a little bump on his head, is that normal for turkeys?

thanks in advance for any help, it is very appreciated :)
The white specks look like parts that fall off as new feathers come in.

Inspect the foot very carefully to see if you can find a reason that it is pecking at it. Is there possibly a splinter or thorn in it?

The bump on the head is a snood. Turkeys have snoods normally.

I very strongly recommend that you get it a turkey companion. Turkeys are very social birds and should be raised with other turkeys. Of course if you plan on processing it, the point is moot.

Is that spot on his foot part of his foot? It could be bumble foot. And I don't think that's normal to have a welt on his h
Is that spot on his foot part of his foot? It could be bumble foot. And I don't think that's normal to have a welt on his head.
We’ve tried to remove it but it’s not coming off. It is starting to swell a little so we’ll definitely keep bumble foot in mind!

The white specks look like parts that fall off as new feathers come in.

Inspect the foot very carefully to see if you can find a reason that it is pecking at it. Is there possibly a splinter or thorn in it?

The bump on the head is a snood. Turkeys have snoods normally.

I very strongly recommend that you get it a turkey companion. Turkeys are very social birds and should be raised with other turkeys. Of course if you plan on processing it, the point is moot.
We couldn’t find a splinter or anything, the foot looks fine bar the weird brown stuff on the bottom of it that we can’t get off.
Thanks for clarifying about the snood!
Yes, we were thinking maybe it needs to be with birds of its own kind and that might involve us giving him away😭 but thanks for the response!

UPDATE: the turkey is better!!! We put antibiotic cream on his foot (polyfax) and he ended up getting better in around a week. We reckon he did have bumblefoot, thank you to everyone who replied and showed concern 🙌

Back
Top Bottom