Turkey Talk for 2014

I have Narragansett turkeys...they are gorgeous birds, they grow fast, toms 20 pound hens 18 and the hens are pretty too...they are hardy, calm, smart, I also like the Bourbon Reds because they are all of the above...they are good breeders, the hens are wonderful mothers and the eggs and meat are VERY good!! They both are east to keep and I hope that helps you decide...also they are heritage turkeys and natural breeders not like the poor commercial breed!!
big_smile.png

My tom Mr. Henry...sorry he is sideways!!

1. Are you prepared for Turkey season for 2014?[COLOR=008080]As prepared as I can be, I hope[/COLOR] :p 2. When do your hens start laying eggs? [COLOR=008080]I'm hoping for eggs come spring. I also only have young stock![/COLOR] 3. What breeds do you plan on raising for 2014? [COLOR=008080]I have Red Bronze, Buff (she never did darken much), and Beltsville Small White.[/COLOR] 4. What is your current Tom/Hen Ratio? [COLOR=008080]Just one tom to three hens.[/COLOR] 5. How many poults do you plan on hatching? [COLOR=008080]As many as I can[/COLOR] :lol: 6. Did you order any poults from other hatcheries? If so, what hatchery, what breed and how many are you expecting? [COLOR=008080]No, I may get some Orloppe Bronze to raise for the summer and send to freezer camp again, but I'm not sure yet.[/COLOR] 7. Are you ordering turkey eggs from someone? If so, how many? [COLOR=008080]Nope.[/COLOR] 8. Will you be using an incubator to hatch your turkey eggs? [COLOR=008080]Yes.[/COLOR] 9. Do you want your hens to go broody so that they can hatch eggs? [COLOR=008080]Yes[/COLOR] 10. Will you be selling eggs and/or poults? [COLOR=008080]Hopefully both[/COLOR] :fl 11. What are your feed plans for 2014? Anyone trying fermented feed for their flock? [COLOR=008080]My guys tend to free range despite their fence, so they do that and I feed them nasty-free feed from a local mill and kitchen/garden scraps when they're available.[/COLOR] 12. Do you have your housing ready for your poults and turkeys? [COLOR=008080]Mostly. I'm thinking about adding another few feet to my turkey fencing though![/COLOR] 13. How many turkeys will you be processing for your freezer for 2014? [COLOR=008080]Way too early to know that one. Nothing until fall anyway.[/COLOR] 14. What did you do this year that you want to do different next year (2014)? [COLOR=008080]This year I bought hatching eggs and poults, next year I'm hoping to mostly be able to raise my own. I'm rather excited about the whole prospect![/COLOR] :celebrate
Beautiful birds !!! :love Great info about your plans posted.! :thumbsup

I have Narragansett turkeys...they are gorgeous birds, they grow fast, toms 20 pound hens 18 and the hens are pretty too...they are hardy, calm, smart, I also like the Bourbon Reds because they are all of the above...they are good breeders, the hens are wonderful mothers and the eggs and meat are VERY good!! They both are east to keep and I hope that helps you decide...also they are heritage turkeys and natural breeders not like the poor commercial breed!!:D My tom Mr. Henry...sorry he is sideways!!
Mr. Henry still looks handsome sideways. :love

1. Are you prepared for Turkey season for 2014?
hu.gif

2. When do your hens start laying eggs? One hen just started, but I wasn't expecting them to start until spring (they're still young.)

3. What breeds do you plan on raising for 2014? Midget Whites, and maybe adding Bourbon Reds

4. What is your current Tom/Hen Ratio? 1:1, but soon to be 1:2

5. How many poults do you plan on hatching? As many as possible

6. Did you order any poults from other hatcheries? If so, what hatchery, what breed and how many are you expecting? No

7. Are you ordering turkey eggs from someone? If so, how many? TBD

8. Will you be using an incubator to hatch your turkey eggs? Yes

9. Do you want your hens to go broody so that they can hatch eggs? Yes

10. Will you be selling eggs and/or poults? May swap a few to add a new variety, but not planning on selling.

11. What are your feed plans for 2014? Anyone trying fermented feed for their flock? Free-range, with kitchen/garden scraps and a local organic grain

12. Do you have your housing ready for your poults and turkeys? Hope to move them into the new permanent coop next week. Will look into adding brooder/grower space next season if needed.

13. How many turkeys will you be processing for your freezer for 2014? Processing only 1 in 2013. Hoping to increase breeder flock numbers and process 8-10+ in 2014.

14. What did you do this year that you want to do different next year (2014)? All the eggs we hatched this year were shipped. Would like to see an improvement in hatch rates with our own eggs in 2014. Would like to hatch earlier in the year to have turkey ready to process by Thanksgiving.

Quote: Last spring I started freezing my extra eggs-- from the chickens. scrambled with 1 tsp salt and pour into pints and freeze. And I pickle them too!! I love pickled eggs. I have made up different flovors all based on 1:1 water to vinegar.

( I thought she meant her hens were still laying-- now I"m not green. lol)

Back
Top Bottom