Turkey Talk for 2014

Quote: LOL< I just figured that pc out too-- thanks chicken pickin!

I know my birds have a better life with me than a hatchery: lots of room to run around, trees, kitchen scraps, FF, compost diggings, the woods to cruise around ( the SS travel far) and processing is stall the hardest part. To qualify, the killing is the hardest step uchhhh.. After that point, I can mange just fine now.

--------------------

On another note, I have decided not to add any new blood this year. Still lots of good eats growing up and putting on flesh so that brings me to hatching this year.

I'm on the fence: I have enough good females, but worry that I need a good future male. THat means hatching a goodly number to find that one Mister super star. What does it cost to feed 20-25 poults for 5 months----- I don't want to know. . . . lol

If I can arrange it , I will pick one male and a couple females and hatch just from that group. THen the new male can ge paired with my older hens in 2015. Trying to avoid too much inbreeding here.

I think I need more pens.
th.gif
Well, BETTER pens.

LOL< I just figured that pc out too-- thanks chicken pickin!

I know my birds have a better life with me than a hatchery: lots of room to run around, trees, kitchen scraps, FF, compost diggings, the woods to cruise around ( the SS travel far) and processing is stall the hardest part. To qualify, the killing is the hardest step uchhhh.. After that point, I can mange just fine now.

--------------------

On another note, I have decided not to add any new blood this year. Still lots of good eats growing up and putting on flesh so that brings me to hatching this year.

I'm on the fence: I have enough good females, but worry that I need a good future male. THat means hatching a goodly number to find that one Mister super star. What does it cost to feed 20-25 poults for 5 months----- I don't want to know. . . . lol

If I can arrange it , I will pick one male and a couple females and hatch just from that group. THen the new male can ge paired with my older hens in 2015. Trying to avoid too much inbreeding here.

th.gif
Well, BETTER pens.

LOL don't we all. I think my visions I have for each following year far exceed the amount of land I have. Im working all of what I have in on a very small lot. Its hard to rein my self back in and remember to try not to start too many more projects until I have sorted out my last projects.

I did finally come to the sad decision to stop my duck raising in its tracks and rehome the few ducks I have left and not go further with them. They need more space and freedom than I can provide them, I hate seeing them penned, they love to fly. Such wonderful creatures Im so glad I had them in my life they are amazing when they fly and the way they chatter to each other.

LOL< I just figured that pc out too-- thanks chicken pickin!

That is why I sell them alive... We don't want to do that part ourselves and found we don't have to. We do fine with out having to.
My birds are healthy and happy have lots of room and a coop to roost in if the choose to. Lots of trees for shade and nuts and fruit.

--------------------

I don't know, but I would like to figure it out.

th.gif
Well, BETTER pens.

thumbsup.gif

We are going to be raising 15 turkey this year and about 50 new chickens. So Feb and Mar we will be building new pens every weekend. And we will be adding another grow out pen as the larger chicks pick on the younger ones or won't let them eat. I hope it will be easier this way.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchny2000

Raccoon and fox are my biggest problem. I have electric fencing now and its stopped any issues.
How did yourig the wiring?? Just around the base of coop, or perimeter around your whole yard?

Top and bottom outside the fence, and coop, my coops are all together, worked well.
The entire perimeter. Its so nice not worrying any more. Free range time is the only risk now.
We have 5 acres, but will be doing the cattle pasture soon also.
How high off the ground is the bottom wire?? AN by top is it strung over the top of ajust a couple feet up and outward using extenders??
The bottom wire is about 3 " from ground level, The top sits just at the fence top with short extenders.
I do have hardware cloth buried along the fence line also.
I saw a stray cat attempt to go over it a few days ago, worked very well!

Quote:
That actually brings up a question I wanted to ask, tho forgive if it's been discussed a thousand times before. What do you look for when selecting your turkey breeders? I mean, I just have a single pair, so this year I get whatever I get. It's my first year with turkeys and it's mostly just an experiment right now. But I raise a single breed of chickens and I am using to trying to breed to the standard while also maintaining the intrinsic traits I like in my breed. What do you think about when looking for good breeders in turkeys? They are just different enough from chickens that I don't even know where to start, haha!

I raised my 2 Standard Bronze From poults. Both turned out to be hens. I got two toms to go with them Narri so going on 3 yes old Bourbon Red is 2. The guy got them from got hem at the sale. My hens are big poets. The BR is the dominant male and he is calm and acts fine. The Narri started out jumping at small dig and costs. Then he decided to chase after my feet like a goose. I keep a eye on him and every time he dies it I throw my arms up in the air, holler, and run after him. One day he agrevated me all the time chasing my feet. I chased him and then kicked in the butt just hard enough to lift him slightly off the ground. Now he behaves.
He hasn't been pesting me. Just puffing and making hissing noises at me. :)

I am very happy to say that today I brought home 2 of the turkey females I had adopted out in the fall. The adopter opted for something different, and asked if I wanted them back. I did, of course.
Tried to put the girls in with the younger/smaller boy and female, and HE SAID NOTHIN DOIN!!! He wants nothing to do with any other females, just the little one he has been in with. Epic love story, so I have decided to name them "Ory and Madeline" (from one of my fav novels and miniseries). The the giant one who has been a little brattier started LITERALLY dancing. So, it made it official ......I have been considering the name for him and IT FITS!! He is named "Rerun" cuz he dances just like the guy on "What's Happening". It seems the larger of the females that came home today has eyes for him. All but the Davy Jones twinkles in the eyes....LOL.
I named the other large male Scott, just to get one in on a red headed friend of mine named Scott. And my daughter (who loves Monster High) has named one of the females who came home today Clawdeen. We have one more female to name.

I am considering giving each boy a female and seeing if they calm down and are happy together. If this COULD prevent me from having to eat Rerun, it would be great!!! Any thoughts????

Back
Top Bottom