Turkey Talk for 2014

I should clarify, each pair would be in separate pens.

Should work in my opinion. Which isn't saying much.

And my guy General Patton named for all his strutting. Never actually touched me. He just made all the racket and lowered his head and ran at my feet. He only foes it at me and the DH. Never the kids. I just want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

Quote: On the other hand , I have the land, but even we can't possibly eat that many tukeys and chickens and eggs.

Our ducks do get to fly around. Only one decide a trip was in order and landed at a distance neighbors. Fortunately DH saw her fly up when said neighbor was trying to catch her. SHe was happy to get home to her friends.

Quote: You have a plan!!

I do like butchering my own-- good meat and less expensive than $5 each at licensed butcher. I'm adding heritage bred breeds aka meat birds this year and dropping some of the hatchery birds.

Quote: ANy problems with leaves, o branches on the lower wire?? DO youget snow? Does that impact the function of it?

Quote: You are already ahead of the game as you understand the SOP and selection.

What can get forgotten is that the SOP was applied to utility birds. Meaning meat and or eggs was also important and should not be forgotten in the pursuit of color, type and weight.

Generally the weights are not up to par because they have not been kept up for meat purposes. Now this is something I read and when people post wts this seems to be true , thought there are exceptions.

Stick with one breed and do it well. I expanded in 2012 to several breeds and wish I had not-- I love them all and want to breeed them all which is totally not a viable option. THe males have started fighing today so that might help me decide. I though there would be more differences between breeds, not much diference between the breeds that I have which are all med weights.

THe sweetgrass are gorgeous and just too pretty to eat.

Selection--I look at health, I watch the bird walk, feel the breast area the best I can, look at size. Only THEN---I look at the color of feathers and legs.

Last edited:
It was nice having them, Aunt Kat. Sadly, their unknown breeding didn't work for what I was after.
I don't see why a girl in with each boy wouldn't work. It doesn't mean Rerun won't mind his manners though. Try and it hopefully he stays content.

Arielle:
I do like butchering my own-- good meat and less expensive than $5 each at licensed butcher. I'm adding heritage bred breeds aka meat birds this year and dropping some of the hatchery birds.

I wish I could get my birds butchered for us.

What kinds of meat birds are you getting?

I looked for any kind of large bird for our uses. And I thank you for all your suggestions. I still would like to add some of those Chantecler's you mentioned. But I will have to wait till fall.

We have plenty of land here Arielle, but our dogs and all the coyotes and other predators here it is just best to keep the birds in pens for their own safety. I wish I could let them free range.
But our pit bull we have had for years is used to hunting for "MEAT" we have cattle farms on three sides of us and when they have one dies including one of ours, our dogs go get what they want.

I wanted the birds at first to be able to use our own eggs and meat. But my DH does not want to process them, and neither do I. So we eat the eggs. lol
I have ordered 10 heritage turkey bourbon reds and standard bronze. I am hoping I will get some hens this year! We will also be adding a few BBW turkey.

I wish you luck with your breeding plans this year.
big_smile.png

Should work in my opinion. Which isn't saying much.

And my guy General Patton named for all his strutting. Never actually touched me. He just made all the racket and lowered his head and ran at my feet. He only foes it at me and the DH. Never the kids. I just want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

It was nice having them, Aunt Kat. Sadly, their unknown breeding didn't work for what I was after.
I don't see why a girl in with each boy wouldn't work. It doesn't mean Rerun won't mind his manners though. Try and it hopefully he stays content.

Thanks guys. I am going to try it today since I have the space to do so. If it works, I can get started building two more pens that can have outdoor runs so they can all be content and help me garden. I'm going to give it a shot. Two days ago I was sure I only had the choice of putting Rerun in the freezer. I HATE that thought, so it's worth a shot. He isn't doing anything to me, just charging the other animals. But I am crossing my fingers that he can't be too agressive if Scott is still int he pen and they haven't fought.
I WISH YOU COULD HAVE SEEN HIM DANCING LAST NIGHT..............LOL!!!!!!!!

I have such an urge to install a disco ball and sew him a beret!!!!

0.jpg

Should work in my opinion. Which isn't saying much. And my guy General Patton named for all his strutting. Never actually touched me. He just made all the racket and lowered his head and ran at my feet. He only foes it at me and the DH. Never the kids. I just want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.
It was nice having them, Aunt Kat. Sadly, their unknown breeding didn't work for what I was after. I don't see why a girl in with each boy wouldn't work. It doesn't mean Rerun won't mind his manners though. Try and it hopefully he stays content.
Thanks guys. I am going to try it today since I have the space to do so. If it works, I can get started building two more pens that can have outdoor runs so they can all be content and help me garden. I'm going to give it a shot. Two days ago I was sure I only had the choice of putting Rerun in the freezer. I HATE that thought, so it's worth a shot. He isn't doing anything to me, just charging the other animals. But I am crossing my fingers that he can't be too agressive if Scott is still int he pen and they haven't fought. I WISH YOU COULD HAVE SEEN HIM DANCING LAST NIGHT..............LOL!!!!!!!! I have such an urge to install a disco ball and sew him a beret!!!!
That is too freakin funny! Does remind me of a turkey tom dancing for his hen with all the arm flapping & head bobbing...lmao

Back
Top Bottom