Turkey Talk for 2014

Can hear turkeys in the hatcher this morning
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I have seen the fabric, and it says not to use in vegetable gardens. It claims it is only for flowers, trees and shrubs. Are you telling me I can use it anyway? I never did understand why I couldn't. Maybe there is a chemical weed repellant on the fabric?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_60684-23132...c&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=weed+fabric&facetInfo=

yup.. you can use it anyway... it has "no chemicals" listed in the description

The reason why they don't state for vegetable gardens is because most people use it as a landscape fabric (flower beds and walkways).. with a veggie garden you just have to cut a circle where you plant the plants (or cut an X) so they can get nice deep roots.. just don't make the circle so big that weeds will pop up.. I usually cut it just big enough for a trowel to scoop out what I need to stick the plant's root ball in

with carrots, onions or potatoes you can either just add enough soil on top of the fabric for root crop depth (which kinda negates the purpose since you'll probably introduce weed seeds..) or cut the small circles for each plant... the other option would be to not use it for root crops and just hand weed those

the last option is to place it where you want your fall garden to be so the weeds under it die off and rot before planting the garden in the fall.. then pull it back up just before planting and store it til the following year

LOL--- anything you havent' done with animals? lol My kids ask for ferrets and I give them the look . . . . eventually they forget about asking for one until the news or an article in a kids magazine and they ask again. NO ferrets. I have lots of limits here or we would be needing a zoo license!! lol

well... being an old biddy.. I've pretty much been there and done that.. have worked with everything from big cats and bears to reptiles (including venomous snakes), arachnids, sea life, small exotics, equines, livestock, all sorts of birds (domestic and exotic).. lol.. you name it and it's probably been in my resume somewhere along the way!

ah just blame my mother.. she started me off at a young age with the wild and exotic critter rescue we did when I was a kid.. and that I still do from time to time....

btw.. bottle kittens are doing well!

I have my 6- 1 month old chicks out of the small brooder and into the large one now. They will be 5 wks Sunday and soon going out with the big girls. I also have a pen and run with 4 ducks. FFH is getting turkeys in Wed. and I was thinking of getting 1 BBB and 1 BBW for the holidays. I have never had turkeys. Do i keep the little ones under a light and drop 5* ea. week like chicks? Can I feed them the same chick starter food? Also, when their old enough, do I put them in with the chickens, ducks or should they have their own coop and run? Any fore warnings? Thanks

I have my 6- 1 month old chicks out of the small brooder and into the large one now. They will be 5 wks Sunday and soon going out with the big girls. I also have a pen and run with 4 ducks. FFH is getting turkeys in Wed. and I was thinking of getting 1 BBB and 1 BBW for the holidays. I have never had turkeys. Do i keep the little ones under a light and drop 5* ea. week like chicks? Can I feed them the same chick starter food? Also, when their old enough, do I put them in with the chickens, ducks or should they have their own coop and run? Any fore warnings? Thanks

Turkeys have to have higher protein feed, so you can not keep them with standard chicks. Feed turkey or game bird starter. You do have to keep them warm just like chicks with decreasing the heat weekly. Just like chicks to keep warm and dry until feathered.

I am in no way disagreeing with Momhunter. However, I was told recently that someone else had been told to give the BBW chick starter. I said I had not heard of such a thing. Then I read my "protein content" in my turkey and game bird starter. It said it was 22%. The grower said 20%. So now I am confused.

Back
Top Bottom