Turkey Talk for 2014

Me again. Sorry for all the questions. Has anyone ever had a poult hatch that is really wide set in the legs? This one looks like an extreme bulldog. The right leg was slipping on paper towels, so I put down shelf liner. It's 24 hours old. It had a very hard hatch and was shrink wrapped in the inner membrane. The outer membrane looked totally normal, until I touched it and realized it was hard. But the poult is also extremely short backed.
Poor thing flips over every so often.

I don't know about its legs, but I had one that kept flopping over and I just kept turning it over. After a few days it was okay. Now I cant tell which one it was.

I don't know who you are getting them from but my advice if no one has said is be careful.  I researched this breed for approx. 6 months before I was confident that I was getting a true Beltsville, and now I am not really happy with this source but it was the one person that no one had even question the authenticity of his birds.  I have since purchasing found a few other people that have them that might be willing to part with some pouts when they have extra.  There are also a few hatcheries that advertise having them but I have found also that those are questionable as to whether they are purebred.  I am not going to put any names out but if you pm me I will give you the information I have on hatcheries but if it is a local small scale breeder I probably don't know.

Thanks for the reply, but I decided not to get them. Don't know how well I could sell them. There is a seller on eBay that sells hatching eggs from supposedly one of the few certified flocks of BSW.

Me again. Sorry for all the questions. Has anyone ever had a poult hatch that is really wide set in the legs? This one looks like an extreme bulldog. The right leg was slipping on paper towels, so I put down shelf liner. It's 24 hours old. It had a very hard hatch and was shrink wrapped in the inner membrane. The outer membrane looked totally normal, until I touched it and realized it was hard. But the poult is also extremely short backed.
Poor thing flips over every so often.

It's hard to tell from the angle of the top picture, but are both legs abnormal in their relationship to the body, or just the right leg? From just this single angle, it looks like the shanks are parallel to each other, but the back half of the body is a little curved to the left. It also looks like the angle at the hip is abnormal in that picture. Does it always look like that, or was that just a momentary position? If it's a permanent appearance, it could be caused by a twist in the back, or a dislocated hip joint, or an anatomical abnormality of the right leg or pelvis, or prolonged twisting and cramping up in the egg, which could be temporary. Can you post more pictures?

Thanks for the reply, but I decided not to get them. Don't know how well I could sell them. There is a seller on eBay that sells hatching eggs from supposedly one of the few certified flocks of BSW.
Momhunter here is a link to a hatchery that has the real BSW he has wonderful stock! You can call him "Dennis" and ask him about his stock and he will tell you about them.
I bought some of his turkey that came from Frank Reese and I waited months to get them. I am very excited to have them.

http://www.countryhatchery.net/turkeys.html

It's hard to tell from the angle of the top picture, but are both legs abnormal in their relationship to the body, or just the right leg? From just this single angle, it looks like the shanks are parallel to each other, but the back half of the body is a little curved to the left. It also looks like the angle at the hip is abnormal in that picture. Does it always look like that, or was that just a momentary position? If it's a permanent appearance, it could be caused by a twist in the back, or a dislocated hip joint, or an anatomical abnormality of the right leg or pelvis, or prolonged twisting and cramping up in the egg, which could be temporary. Can you post more pictures?

It was both legs, but the right was the one slipping. Poor thing kept flipping over more and more. I culled it this morning. It looked like the hip sockets were too shallow or something. The legs were so wide from the body, the wings rested on top and also stuck way out. The right wing kept dropping down, I'm not sure if it couldn't keep it in place or if it was for balance. It was always in that position, but laid down most of the time. When it did stand and try to walk, the head was low and the butt stuck up. One thing I remember, there was a lot of wobbling when that chick was still in the egg and when I helped it zip, it didn't seem to be able to get in the right position. But, it was shrink wrapped, so I don't know. I did try for more pictures, but it was so skittish, I could only get them through the bin without total panic and flipping over, and those didn't turn out.

Back
Top Bottom