Turkey Talk for 2014

Momhunter here is a link to a hatchery that has the real BSW he has wonderful stock! You can call him "Dennis" and ask him about his stock and he will tell you about them.
I bought some of his turkey that came from Frank Reese and I waited months to get them. I am very excited to have them.

http://www.countryhatchery.net/turkeys.html
What line are his birds from and where did he get them from. I had emailed him about this and asked of he got them from Frank Reese and the same two questions I have asked of you. he replied(the next day)to the email and told me his Beltsville were not from Frank but did not answer the other two question. I again replied to his email and asked where he got them from and their line, I have yet to get a reply(approx10 days). This was disappointing to me because I have done extensive research into the breed and trying to find a source that has True BSW. I have purchased two dozen hatching eggs from one of the sources on ebay and found another just recently that was not selling on ebay until recently. both the dozen I have bought had two eggs that did not develop at all and only got one to hatch and about three others that had any development at all from the first dozen. not horribly for shipped eggs but have talked to others with the same experience. So not to happy with him. so I was happy to see a hatchery with true BSW, but without knowing where he got them from and what line they come from i would not purchase any from him. I don't mean to be pessimistic or say anything bad about the hatchery but because these are rare and many people either believe and don't know or know and don't care their birds are not true I have been skeptical.

I will be traveling down interstate 80 California between Sacramento in Santa Rosa/Marin on Memorial Day. I'm looking for fertile Bourbon Red turkey eggs for sale along this route.
530.906.9081. You can call, text or email me even on Monday I will have my phone with me.

What line are his birds from and where did he get them from. I had emailed him about this and asked of he got them from Frank Reese and the same two questions I have asked of you. he replied(the next day)to the email and told me his Beltsville were not from Frank but did not answer the other two question. I again replied to his email and asked where he got them from and their line, I have yet to get a reply(approx10 days). This was disappointing to me because I have done extensive research into the breed and trying to find a source that has True BSW. I have purchased two dozen hatching eggs from one of the sources on ebay and found another just recently that was not selling on ebay until recently. both the dozen I have bought had two eggs that did not develop at all and only got one to hatch and about three others that had any development at all from the first dozen. not horribly for shipped eggs but have talked to others with the same experience. So not to happy with him. so I was happy to see a hatchery with true BSW, but without knowing where he got them from and what line they come from i would not purchase any from him. I don't mean to be pessimistic or say anything bad about the hatchery but because these are rare and many people either believe and don't know or know and don't care their birds are not true I have been skeptical.

Duane Urch breeds BSW. Brian Decker, an APA/ABA judge, also breeds them. He posts on showbirdbid.com and is in Oregon, I believe. Brian Decker had posted that Rodney Heafs, an APA waterfowl judge who lives a little north of Urch, also has BSW that he believes are pure since his stock are descended from the birds that the USDA sent to the University of Ontario ca. many years ago. Perhaps people want to protect their source, and that is why he won't tell you where he got his from. Maybe afraid you will bypass him and buy directly from his source? Don't know.

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/thread/2948/midget-whites#ixzz32gPrtpdX

Duane Urch breeds BSW. Brian Decker, an APA/ABA judge, also breeds them. He posts on showbirdbid.com and is in Oregon, I believe. Brian Decker had posted that Rodney Heafs, an APA waterfowl judge who lives a little north of Urch, also has BSW that he believes are pure since his stock are descended from the birds that the USDA sent to the University of Ontario ca. many years ago. Perhaps people want to protect their source, and that is why he won't tell you where he got his from. Maybe afraid you will bypass him and buy directly from his source? Don't know.

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/thread/2948/midget-whites#ixzz32gPrtpdX

Thanks for the information. I guess I can understand "protecting your source" but with a breed that is harder to find and has controversial and convoluted past I think that's important and I don't necessarily need to know exactly WHO it came from just looking for some cooperation. like you stated above about Rodney Heafs birds coming from the USDA stock, good enough for me. Not saying there not true just saying I wouldn't buy them without some more information.

I am sorry he would not tell you. He was a little hesitant about telling me much. I told him that Frank Reese told me to call him, that Frank Reese had sold him some of his stock and I wanted Frank Reese's stock.

But you can get some BSW from Duane Urch out of Minnesota he is not online He is a highly respected breeder. Alot of breeders get his stock to use!
Good luck, Cheryl

I did not see that DesertMarcy had replied.. lol But she is probably right that he is likely protecting his source to keep anyone from going around him.

Last edited:
About two weeks ago I hatched out a bunch of turkeys and ducks. I am down to 8 turkey poults. The eggs I got were from several EBay sellers. I was suppose to be getting Blue Slates and Narragansett eggs. I have four that are Black and two that are a grayish lilac color.

I also have this one. Would this be a Narragansett?

And then there is this one that looks like the one above, but bleached.

Now I am wondering why the last two are so startling different in their coloring? Is this normal? I know the blue Slates can be Self Blue, Black and Slate. If the other two are Narragansetts why the color difference or was I scammed?

Back
Top Bottom