Turkey with chickens

MrDankYT

Songster
6 Years
Feb 11, 2017
I had 11 Turkeys, 1 Big Tom, 3 Hens, 1 Moma turkey and her 6 Poults, Now some time after the fox arrived and snatched 2 babies, 2 hens and killed the moma turkey, now the poults grew up and i butchered the old turkey tom and im left with 1 Hen and 4 Toms, Im selling the toms and someone wanted to buy one for their farm but he only has chickens, if i can keep my turkeys with my own chickens, will the one single turkey tom be okay to live without any other turkeys ? Just the chickens? Or can i sell him all the 3 or 2 turkeys and they will be ok? but will they fight with eachother?

I had 11 Turkeys, 1 Big Tom, 3 Hens, 1 Moma turkey and her 6 Poults, Now some time after the fox arrived and snatched 2 babies, 2 hens and killed the moma turkey, now the poults grew up and i butchered the old turkey tom and im left with 1 Hen and 4 Toms, Im selling the toms and someone wanted to buy one for their farm but he only has chickens, if i can keep my turkeys with my own chickens, will the one single turkey tom be okay to live without any other turkeys ? Just the chickens? Or can i sell him all the 3 or 2 turkeys and they will be ok? but will they fight with eachother?
A lone tom with nothing but chickens around will end up killing chickens during breeding season as he tries to mate with them.

ok i told the person and i dont think he wants the turkey anymore, although someone else has a lone chicken hen and she wants to buy a turkey so that the hen wont be alone

I love turkeys as much as I love chickens but blackhead has me scared. My bestie keeps saying "don't do it," and I won't until I get this blackhead thing figured out. I've read posts suggesting that people check info on their area to see if it's present, but after reading it might also possibly be spread by migratory birds, I figure it's best to assume it's everywhere. *sigh* I seem to be a target for poultry heartbreak; I lost half of my first flock within 3 months and was down to 2 chickens for a while (predators, toxic millipedes, you name it), so I figure if there's a turkey super-bug, it'd find me. :rant I'll tell ya right now, though, if anything happens to my chickens, I'm re-working for turkeys!!! :love

I love turkeys as much as I love chickens but blackhead has me scared. My bestie keeps saying "don't do it," and I won't until I get this blackhead thing figured out. I've read posts suggesting that people check info on their area to see if it's present, but after reading it might also possibly be spread by migratory birds, I figure it's best to assume it's everywhere. *sigh* I seem to be a target for poultry heartbreak; I lost half of my first flock within 3 months and was down to 2 chickens for a while (predators, toxic millipedes, you name it), so I figure if there's a turkey super-bug, it'd find me. :rant I'll tell ya right now, though, if anything happens to my chickens, I'm re-working for turkeys!!! :love
There are many areas of the country that do not have blackhead. It is true that it can be spread by migratory birds but that is not as common as it might seem. I know of one hatchery that was blackhead free for 20 years before it nearly decimated their turkey flocks. In my opinion it may have just as easily been introduced to them through human contact as from migratory birds.

I have been raising turkeys with chickens for more than 30 years. So far I have not had any signs of blackhead.

Back
Top Bottom