Turkey with Wishbone (Furcula) sticking out of chest!

JesusandPeonies

Hatching
Jul 20, 2023
Long story short my turkey poult I thought was very ill magically got better after a bone popped out through its chest! There was no blood and the skin seems to be normal around the bone. The turkey now seems to be in zero pain, happy & healthy as can be. I've tried wrapping my head around it for over a week now, have found zero information on this happening to anyone else.

My thoughts, I believe this is the bottom of the wishbone sticking out. I am wondering if maybe it injured itself, completely shattered/ broke the wishbone, the bone shifted and was so uncomfortable it popped out?

I will not cull this bird. Will it have issues in the future, certainly possible but this bird deserves a chance at life. You would never know something is wrong with it if you didn't actually see the bone protruding.

Looking for insight, helpful advice. Zero criticism/ judgement.

With time the bone seems to be drying out, should I cut the bone as close to the skin as possible and see what happens?

This bird is completely separated from the others, and it will remain that way. Quite honestly the injured bird has been so spoiled he/ she has no interest in socializing with the others now.

Attachments

• Turkeybone (2).jpg
    Turkeybone (2).jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 153
  • turkeyinjured.jpg
    turkeyinjured.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 23
  • turkeyinjured2.jpg
    turkeyinjured2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 24
  • turkeyinjured3.jpg
    turkeyinjured3.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reason why I feel I need to cut; it's come out further in the last day. I'm not sure if it has pulled on it because it's annoying being there?

More pictures added, it's not easy trying to take pics with a poult that does not want to be held :)

Last edited:
I agree, it looks more like it was impaled with something, wood or a woody stem. Seeing the skin around it would be helpful. If you touch it does it move at all? Freak accidents sometimes happen. This is a thread on a chicken that got impaled on some beach grass, there are a few pictures if you scroll through:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/impaled-chicken.1262398/
Is vet care an option? An xray would hopefully answer what it might be and if anything inside is damaged or at risk if it's removed. I would be concerned about infection at some point. If it's gotten longer, then maybe it's working itself out or the body is pushing it out.

Something doesn’t add up.
It’s almost impossible for that. I mean freak things have happened. But it looks like it’s impaired by something other than bone or like a splinter, it’s expelling something.

Attachments

• IMG_6363.png
    IMG_6363.png
    571.7 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom