Turkeys and Imprinting on chickens

ArihTheMagical

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2018
How long would it take for a turkey to imprint onto a chicken? I have had my chicks for about two weeks (other then three relatively new ones) and I wanted to know if they are in danger of their brother, who is a male turkey chick which I have not separated them at all except a few times every other day, am I safe?

:welcome

I've never raised turkeys but from what I've read here on BYC, it's not a good idea to keep a tom with chickens as he will try to mate with them once the hormones kick in. Turkeys are not anatomically compatible with hens so injury or death could occur to the hens.

Hopefully another greeter with turkey experience will come along with more information.

In the meantime, it's nice to have you here and thanks for joining us!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

They imprint fast on each other no matter the species. I've had lone quail imprint on chickens very fast. However its not good to keep Turkeys with Chickens. Turkeys can carry Blackhead and infect Chickens. Chickens carry things that effect gamebirds as well. BUT, usually this all pertains to birds not raised together. Another issue is feed requirements. Turkeys need much higher protien diets than do chickens.

All this being said, you might try and keep them together, at least for now until you figure something else out. You might get more Turkeys and more Chickens and separate all of them.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to our roost! :)

I wouldn't separate him until he has others to be with. Right now he thinks he's a chicken and young enough to be frightened when separated. As he grows, he should calm down a bit.

You might also talk to others in our Turkey forums about this... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/turkeys.20/

I wouldn't separate him until he has others to be with. Right now he thinks he's a chicken and young enough to be frightened when separated. As he grows, he should calm down a bit.

You might also talk to others in our Turkey forums about this... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/turkeys.20/

my uncle does not plan on buying other turkeys or anything as such, so I won't be able to put him among those like him

Howdy :frow Welcome to BYC!
Turkeys will imprint with just about anything, other animals, birds, or people and sometimes inanimate objects. Although, yours won't be happy by it's self, it will eventually accept being without it's own kind.
@TwoCrows has given you some sound advice, as well.
Wish you the Best of Luck with your turkey.

Alt-WELCOME-farmer-connie-1.gif

You have gotten good information already!

Enjoy Backyard Chickens

Back
Top Bottom