Turkeys hatched!

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
There were 14 eggs, 9 hatched. 7 look like Naragansett and 2 Royal Palm. 1 egg disappeared and we brought the remaining 4 inside and put them in the incubator because it seemed Dot was done sitting on them. We candled them and all have babies in them. 1 in the incubator just pipped. I'm nervous about it because the turner is in there for our other eggs that we just set on the 7th. Guess I'll be up all night watching.
Not sure where the one egg went...maybe she pushed it under the hay in the nest? Maybe I'll find out when I am able to clean her nest.
Dot was bred by an Eastern Wild turkey by accident the day we went to purchase her. Then our Royal Palm tom mated her as well. We were not sure what we were going to get.
Someone told me 50% Bronze and 50% Naragansette, if she were only bred by the wild turkey. I don't know what bronze chicks look like...but these ones look like Naragansett and RP to me.

Congrats, good looking poults. Please post up shots as they feather out. These guys go through 5-6 molts before adult feathering comes in at a year (sometimes altering appearance a bit - in `crosses').

Last edited:
It hatched! I turned the turner off while he was in there and watched him like a hawk. When he was dry...but not all the way fluffed up, I quickly removed him and put him in the brooder. Once he fluffed up I took him to Mom and she accepted him.

Another of the eggs has pipped..there is a small speck of blood on it's beak...makes me nervous. I upped the humidity a little...see if that helps. It will be another Royal Palm.

Ivan..I would be happy to post pictures..I'm a bit of a camera junkie. The last three hatched were all Royal Palm. It seems like she used the sperm in order..wonder if there is a waiting line in there with fancy velvet ropes to keep the impatient back?

Super adorable! 8D My RP(well Blue Palm) hen hatched a bunch of poults a couple of weeks ago and the colored ones of yours look like the darker ones my hen had. She was bred by our Narragansett toms though. This is when they were just a few days old.

This is them at just over a week old, it's amazing how fast a Turkey's feathers come in. XD

Back
Top Bottom