Turned out to be two Roos

modestmaiden62

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 10, 2014
Well my two birds in question turned out to be roos and not pullets. We have decided to keep both and get some more hens or pullets to add to our flock. We have the space now I just need to find some. How is the best way to find some hens? I am interested of course in some more Lavender orpintons since I have some and that is what my roos are, but I also like barred rocks, cochin, and mixed bramas. I have searched on our craigslist but there aren't many out there and the ones I do see won't call me back so I guess they have already sold them. Thanks, and maybe I placed this in the wrong place and if I did sorry and maybe you can tell me where to place it to get some help.

I'm sorry they both turned out to be roosters. If you keep both of them, be sure and get enough hens to go with them. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens as they mature; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. It's very late in the year now for finding available pullets, but you might try posting on our Chicken Breeders and Hatcheries section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries. Good luck in getting your pullets.

Back
Top Bottom