Turner or not

jf carker

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Alvin Texas
My eggs are due to hatch on the 22nd of this month. I know I am supposed to turn the turner off 3 days before hatch, but I'm not clear on wether or not I'm supposed to remove the turner and place the eggs on the wire screen at the bottom of the bator. I'm getting conflicting stories. The last time I did 10 eggs and got 8 to hatch I did not turn it off or remove it. I think I got lucky that time....

Thanks Joe

I would remove it because chicks can get tangled up in it when they hatch. You could just turn it off on Day 18 then remove it when they start pipping, but I think it may be better to just take it out on Day 18 when you raise the humidity so you dont compromise your heat and humidity right at hatching time.

Last edited:
I do remove it. BUT I've also had some hatch out when I didn't remove it. heh Not intentionally, just happened.

However, yes, most people say remove it.

I take them out of the turner on day 18, but have had one or two surprise me by pipping a little early. Once, I forgot to turn the turner off and take it out all together, and was surprised when I heard a peep and found a chick staring back at me through the window! It was crazy trying to take the eggs out and not lose a wiggly chick!
lol.png
Better than half of them had already pipped.

Thanks for all the help ya'll. I took it out Friday, and Friday night they started hatching. As of 2pm today I had 23 new baby chicks and 1 still trying to make his way into the world. I still have 9 eggs that are not doing anything. I think they are not going to happen. Tuesday will be day 22. I think I will wait until Wednesday and take them out if nothing happens by then. I think 24 out of 36 is pretty good odds though. I heard 50 % is about normal...

Well, good question. My Rooster is an Ameracana. I have one Americana Hen. 5 of her eggs hatched. Several White Leghorns, and several Barred Rocks. Obviously, the only pure breds are the Americana's. I don't know what to call the others. I will get some pic's on tomorrow. Thanks

Joe

Back
Top Bottom