Turning an old shed into a chicken coop advice?

Agent Idaho

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2016
Idaho
I’m going to be getting a few chickens and I thought my old shed would be good to use as a chicken coop.
54C083CB-0832-4CCB-8686-5EAE219379AB.jpeg
D9BB5041-95B8-477A-9691-6FDC9F3E1BC5.jpeg
It definitely needs to be cleaned up and repaired a bit, but I was wondering if anybody had some extra advice on it?

Could be super cute! I did the same thing awhile ago, but ended up moving them in the end because rain kept getting in there, and in the winter they all got frostbite.. it was bad. The only advice I have for you is to make sure it is insulated enough for them! I can just imagine little window boxes with flowers beneath the windows! :love:love
Are you going to attach a little run, or do they free range??

Good luck!:thumbsup

My advice now remember I’m in Canada, is it insulate walls and floors first , we used foam sheets. Then make sure to have cross ventilation,you must have a moving “ breeze”.

We created a nesting box/ roost withpoop boards all on one wall , save space . Nestingbox has a 2x4 among the top with sand on top . They sleep up there , you can’t keep them off nesting boxes so we made use of the space.

Make a plan , a list of all your wants and a list of needs....

Have fun , and also use screws in the coop because they’re easier to take out when you change your mind ( I just know this)

Windows with wire and shutters are much cheaper then real glass ones. We put foam and plexi glass in then for winter
FF1947E5-DE34-427B-8ADA-7C832A121AAC.jpeg

I’ll stop buggging you, notice we added on from different sides ? The nice thing about an existing building is you can build on from all sides , have fun

Back
Top Bottom