Twisted beak

thepouts

Songster
7 Years
Mar 14, 2013
One of my silkies has a twisted beak. I plan on breeding them and know I cannot breed from her.

Is it terrible of me to get rid of her??

No, not terrible in my opinion. If your goal is to keep breeding chickens, then keeping her doesn't help you in your goal. If your goal was keeping chickens as pets, that'd be a different story.

Either culling or giving her away, in my opinion, is fine. Personally, my plan is to cull any bird with big deformities. It's my opinion that cross beak chickens don't have as full a life as they should. But whether or not to cull is a personal choice.

Last edited:
I will try and find her a nice home but I can't imagine there will be any takers as it is quite bad :(

She is smaller than others the same age and not as fluffy etc. she is also lacking the beautiful pompom on her head.

No, not terrible in my opinion. If your goal is to keep breeding chickens, then keeping her doesn't help you in your goal. If your goal was keeping chickens as pets, that'd be a different story.

Either culling or giving her away, in my opinion, is fine. Personally, my plan is to cull any bird with big deformities. It's my opinion that cross beak chickens don't have as full a life as they should. But whether or not to cull is a personal choice.
Just trim the beak of any crossed beak chickens. Quality of life is exactly the same as any other chicken.

I have a cross beak silkie . she leads a perfectly normal life with trimming her beak and mash food to keep her weight up.I understand you don't want the deformity in your breeding stock but you can still keep her for eggs. just a thought... instead of culling her. or find her a good family that will love her. I'm sure someone will take her and love her. I know I love my cross beak. best wishes

How would I tell her eggs (if she is a girl, I can't tell because she is slower to develop) apart from all the others? And how do you trim their beak??

Back
Top Bottom