Two broodies in the same coop - will the chicks get confused?

AliBia

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
It's just over a year since I've been a chicken daddy. Two of my hens are sitting on clutches of seven and six eggs in the same run in a broody coop, and about to hatch in the next four days. They are fine sharing that space when they get off for their one-time food, drink and mega poop time.

I plan to shift them to an Eglu cube with a three-meter run.
Somehow I feel they will be fine sharing that space with their chicks for a few weeks until the babies feather properly.

BUT my doubting mind questions.
Will the hens fight over the chicks?
Will the chicks get confused about their respective mammas?
Could the common feed and water container pose a challenge?

My gut feeling says they'll be fine. BUT kindly enlighten me if you have had a similar experience.
Gratitude!

Have a 'Plan B' in mind just in case. They may get along and co parent the chicks or they may fight and peck at one another's chicks. Good luck that they get along.

When I had multiple moms (three at once), they all shared the chicks and treated them all as their own. The chicks used all the mothers as their moms indiscriminately. One of the hens lost interest early on, leaving the other two to raise the chicks - I'm not sure what that was about, but it didn't upset anyone. I never experienced fighting between the mama hens

I had two broodies in the coop at the same time and eggs hatched same day, I was amazed that the chicks knew which mother was which.

Have a 'Plan B' in mind just in case. They may get along and co parent the chicks or they may fight and peck at one another's chicks. Good luck that they get along.
Thank you Sourland 🙏🏽 I'll keep you posted and hold my fingers firmly crossed for them to get along together.

When I had multiple moms (three at once), they all shared the chicks and treated them all as their own. The chicks used all the mothers as their moms indiscriminately. One of the hens lost interest early on, leaving the other two to raise the chicks - I'm not sure what that was about, but it didn't upset anyone. I never experienced fighting between the mama hens

Attachments

• 20240519_152002.jpg
    20240519_152002.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 4
Both the mamas are happily sharing the coop and their babies!! Now the task is to shift them in their new home, a coop in the garden. I'll wait till its evening, pick the ladies first and the collect the chicks.

Glad it is working well for the op. I seem to get multiple broodies frequently. The way it will work out is different each time. Like mentioned above where chicks and moms are just one big group happens, but in my standard coop I am more likely to see something else. Some broodies don't let the other mom and chicks near them. Some will let the other chicks come along, but not the other mother, while a few don't seem to care what the other mother does, but will attack the other chicks.
I tend to let them work it out, but sometimes I need to make sure separate feeders and waters are offered untill weening even though they are all together in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom