Two Broody Hens

Awesome thanks, I will do the freeing of the mamma and chicks this weekend. She is probably the most fierce of the hens and has always hogged treats...Hope she loves those chicks as much as her meal worms :p

I've my first chicks and it's as though they are invisible to the other adult hens (buff sussex). The mothers - that's a different matter. They are low down the pecking order and there's the usual bossing around, but not the slightest hint of aggression towards any of the babies.

IMG_20170608_181328233.jpg
My two broody cochins.

Right as my EE broody clutch was hatching my one Welsummer x went broody. The EE hatched 8. She is separated. I was reading this thread and it made me think. The EE is low on totem pole. The chicks are between 2-3 weeks old. I was thinking they need a few more weeks before allowing them with the flock. The flock is free range with a large fenced area. I worry about hawks.

Now I'm wondering if I should introduce the Welsummer broody and see if they will share the job. Cookie is much higher in the pecking order. I haven't been able to break her broodiness. I will say the EE was a more pleasant broody.

Recommendations?

I got two broody hens just like I wanted but it didn't turn out how I wanted one was top hen the other was next to bottom so when I put them together top hen attacked the other one and combined the clutch so I had to separate each other and now their better. The only thing I worry about is my top hens strength in her legs and her ability to protect herself from other hens now that shes been checked out of the pecking order. When I put her back on the 18th she will have been four weeks without seeing other hens will most hens recognize her and leave her alone or will she get attacked by everyone?

Back
Top Bottom