Two chickens.....

kellyjo8437

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Dunnellon
Two chickens neighbors kid had a school project And when it ended they had no use for these guys so in the car they went lol now its been 4 weeks and they look like one is americuana i think they call it??.???... any guesses would be cool :)

It is an easter egger and no doubt a cockerel. The other is a Rhode island red and, so far looks to be a pullet but I can't see the RIR very well

Last edited:
It is an easter egger and no doubt a cockerel. The other is a Rhode island red and, so far looks to be a pullet but I can't see the RIR very well
x 2 ... only I would guess the red one is a Production Red (factory made RIR that does not follow the breed standard color such that they call it Production Red).

My guess is one roo and one pullet.

Lady of McCamley

I thought easter eggers were americanas?
There is no such breed as an Americana. Easter Eggers are sometimes called that but that is an incorrect term as they should be called Easter Egger.

Many people confuse Americana with the true breed of Ameraucana (sometimes with intent to mislead but usually with misconception) as Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs and are highly valued for that.

As another poster accurately stated Ameraucanas only come in 8 colors and follow a strict standard and are bearded and muffed with slate colored legs. If they don't meet that standard they are automatically considered an Easter Egger, however Easter Egger is the correct term for any hybrid mix of an Ameraucana or another blue egg breed the Araucana (which is a rumpless...tailess.. and ear tufted breed) on one side and any other breed on the other. Sometimes the Ameraucana or Araucana genes are several generations back but still show.

Easter Eggers are very colorful fun birds, but they can vary a lot in size, shape, and color with the chipmunk pattern often seen as a chick. You often see them as partridge colored hens and multi-colored or black and white males...often with brick red on the wing bows.. Usually Easter Eggers have a pea comb, beard and muff and green legs but not always as they can have a single comb and yellow or white legs and be beardless and muffless.

The hens can lay blue, green, pink, white or brown eggs. Generally if your Easter Egger has a pea comb it likely will lay blue or green eggs as the blue gene and the pea comb gene are closely linked in the genetics. Only Easter Eggers lay green eggs as it takes a brown egg gene and a blue egg gene to create the green. Ameraucanas only carry the blue gene so they only lay blue eggs. Many people breed and purchase Easter Eggers for the ability to have green eggs (with your ham of course) and Olive Eggers are the creation of a blue gene over a dark brown egg laying gene (like an Ameraucana over a Welsummer or Marans etc.)

Here is a good article describing the differences:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Enjoy your Easter Egger roo. He'll be colorful and fun. He will produce 2nd generation Easter Eggers that have lots of color who may or may not have blue/green eggs (I think it is something like 50% chance of brown and 50% chance of blue/green IF your roo carries the blue gene).

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom