two chicks dead already help please

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
20 Wyandotte chicks
about a month old
They seem to be eating and drinking fine but then they start getting weak and sleeping most of the time and then it just gets worse until they die
I noticed Monday that some seemed sleepy and then the first chick died yesterday and I found another dead this morning I don't know what's going on
No trauma they eat and drink fine until they start to get weak and it gets so bad they can't stand and then die
Normal poop as fare as I can tell no blood or anything
I keep them up on save-a-chick probiotic and electrolytes and started giving the Corid cuz I thought it may be cocci even if I don't see any bloody poo and I have had them on medicated chick feed from the start
I just wish I could figure out what was wrong for sure
I'm gonna treat them myself but I can't if I can't figure out what's killing them
They are in a poultry brooder with regulated heat and a mesh wire floor

Please if anyone has ideas I'm open to anything

Make sure they're not too hot. They need to be able to get away from the heat to a cooler space.

I don't think corid should be given on top of the amprolium in the medicated feed. That would be an overdose.

If you lose any more, it would be a good idea to send a weak one to your state lab for a necropsy so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Without lab work or more definite symptoms it could be any number of things.

Last edited:
Wow I am sorry to hear this!! I have no clue-since you have them on medicated feed and no signs of blood in poo. Sounds like temperature is fine. Are their crops filling & emptying normally? No signs of sneezing or respiratory issues?

Hoping my post will bump this up so someone else may have some ideas...keep us posted and good luck!

Yeah I didn't think feeding them the med feed and giving them the corid would be right so today I went and bought non medicated chick feed but like I said I really don't know if it even is cocci since I have seen it before and this just doesn't seem the same
they aren't sneezing or wheezing
I had the heat off for a few days as it got well above 95 during the day but then it stated getting colder again at night so I keep it on during the night and open everything up during the day as I felt like they weren't getting enough air and light but now this has come up
They have been growing so good since I got them and now this I just wish I could figure it out before more die
I'm closer to Springfield but both are pretty fare away from me

I have 4-5 week old chicks that were hatched under 3 different broody hens (4 actually but 2 are co parenting). 2 of the moms decided they were old enough to fend for themselves and they are now nesting with just themselves at night. The temp in their coop is probably 70ish, and there are 4-5 chicks in each of the nest boxes. They seem to be doing just fine as they are 2/3 feathered out. Do you think its possible they are too warm and getting dehydrated? Per all the sources they should be about 75-80 average temps. at a month old (although mine are lower and doing just fine).

Another thought-had you started a new bag of food when they started getting sick? Could the food have been contaminated/moldy?

I took a sick hen to Mizzou on Monday to be euthanized and necropsied. It was $55 for a complete histopathy and it turned out to be cancer.

They always have water so I figured they weren't dehydrated but I guess they could have gotten hot last week when it was high 90s and I turned off the heaters but I would think if they got too hot then they would have died last week
I did not think about bad feed... I will see if this new non medicated feed I just got helps

Make sure they're not too hot. They need to be able to get away from the heat to a cooler space.

I don't think corid should be given on top of the amprolium in the medicated feed. That would be an overdose.

If you lose any more, it would be a good idea to send a weak one to your state lab for a necropsy so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Without lab work or more definite symptoms it could be any number of things.

There's not enough amprolium in the feed to OD them, but if one was truly worried they could just give less Corid. :D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom