Two chicks won't stand up

ChickenChuckles

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
Hi Backyard Chickens Friends,

I have two chicks in my clutch of 30 that can't stand up today. They kind of try if nudged by me or other chicks, but then they tip over but not completely, they use their wings to regain upright position. They don't struggle when I try to hold them on their backs to examine their legs and feet. In fact, their necks dangle or flop back awkwardly like they can't control them. They don't chirp about it. If not bothered, they stay seated and don't move around. When they do try to walk, they don't stand up, just shuffle.

Any ideas?

One concern I have is feed quality, as I took some bad advice and ordered a large amount of feed several months back, so I'm wondering if my feed has turned rancid and therefore vitamins are lacking. If so, we're doing organic, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the vitamins that the feed store sells would be permissible.

Please, please tell me I don't have Marek's. I've done all the reading I can on that and it doesn't seem to quite suit the symptoms I'm seeing.

It was only one chick this morning, but now a second one is acting this way. I'm getting pretty worried.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say, it sounds like paralysis. If your chicks are under three weeks, it probably isn't Marek's, however, there are other diseases that can cause similar symptoms. Get some new chick food and give them some scrambled eggs for vitamins and protein and to give them a boost. Supply vitamins in their water.

I'll get back to you with more information in a minute.

Causes for the inability to stand:

Spraddle Leg: Caused by weak legs or a hard to grip surface. It can be repaired with hobbles, to keep their legs together.

Vitamin Deficiency: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

Botulism: Caused by eating maggots from a decaying carcass or the carcass its self

Parasites: Lots of worms, coccidia or mites/lice can cause weakness.

Inner Ear Problems: Effects balance. Look for swelling or discharge in the ears, though there can be very few outward signs. They will shake their head a lot and scratch at their head. It can be treated.

Avian Encephalomyelitis: It causes paralysis and marek's like symptoms, usually in chicks under three weeks of age.

Injury: Injury to the leg or back or perhaps even to the head

I hope this helps, and I hope your chicks get better soon. Best of luck!

Thank you, those are excellent resources. From reading them, I'm narrowing it down to a vitamin deficiency or Avian Encephalomyelitis.

I will say that I wasn't entirely clear from the above vitamin deficiency link that these symptoms could be definitely one or another deficiency. I got the idea from a previous post which included this link from thepoultrysite.com.

The thing that doesn't seem spot-on about Avian Encephalomyelitis is that the chicks or chickens appear to be paralyzed in a way that has them sit back on their hocks as in this photo from Cornell. Mine aren't doing that, they're resting completely down like a chicken that's laying.

The chicks are in a brooder, separate from any other chickens and turkeys on the property, though humans do move between the coops. I've seen no ill signs from any other bird we have.

Regarding the boiled egg as a supplement, why not raw egg?

The real reason why scrambled eggs is used is because it prevents them catching any illness, but mainly because if they eat raw eggs they get a taste for it and grow up to be egg eaters.
smile.png

More chicks are now showing signs. I'm up to about 8/31. The original one is lying on it's side with its legs out, and it no longer stretches out its wings in an attempt for balance. It chirps now when I handle it, and it's eyes are clear and alert, but it appears to be losing either equilibrium or voluntary motion in its legs and wings.

I've had chick vitamins and sugar to the water for about 4 days, and have had apple cider vinegar in the water the whole time, per the breeder's instructions. I originally tried to hand water the two affected chicks but they refused the water, so I stopped trying.

No signs of tremors. Just not thriving, appearing lethargic, not scooting away when I move in to pick them up, not appearing to have balance, not having strength in the legs to walk more than a few steps at first, then within a few days to even stand. They still chirp if handled, and in the early stages thrash around in my hand if I lay them on their backs to examine their legs.

The chicks are now 2 weeks old. I've never encountered this before, the turkey pouts in with the chicks are showing no signs, and my other (separated) adult chickens and turkeys are appearing healthy.

Does this piece together more clues for anyone, or ideas?

It sounds like a contagious disease that causes paralysis. My chick had similar symptoms, the thrashing but weak legs, chirping when held, bright eyes. Try dipping their beaks in water and they should start drinking on their own (hopefully). It could be genetic, but it would be best to separate those animals into a different brooder. I'm sorry to say, there is probably very little you can do.
sad.png

Thanks, I'm wondering what diseases it could be, if it's not a food deficiency. Nothing I'm finding online is lining up with their symptoms, because I'm not seeing any respiratory issues or seizures.

I'm up to 11/31 now. I've isolated them, but my hopes are fading.

The strangest part is there is no history of disease at our place, and all adults (granted, they're separated) are behaving normally. All turkey poults in with the chicks are thriving.

Back
Top Bottom