Two ducks sitting on the same nest?

Two ducks have claimed the same nest of eggs. They have a kind of schedule worked out - they both sit on it at night and then in the morning, one of the girls go out, when she returns at the end of the day, back to the nest with the other girl, and the next morning the other girl goes out and the other sits all day.

Has anyone ever seen this? How does this end up? Since they aren't on the nest all day, every day, do they still stop laying?
They should be successful and I do not think they will kill the Ducklings....What will happen though is the first ones to hatch will imprint to what ever Hen that was there as they hatch....She will sit for 24 hours and then abandoned any other eggs that are in the nest to start rearing the Ducklings....
You could remove the other Hen when hatch date gets close or just leave it and see how it goes?...Both are wanting to be Mommas so they both will love the Ducklings....
I would try splitting up a nest don't leave them both sitting there when one hatches and inprints with the mom the other mom will get mad. They will fight over the baby I've seen it happen 2 times.

I will try splitting the nest when the one hatches and but the other one on the remaining egg....will see what happens..thanks

Back
Top Bottom